Results | Looking ahead
In 2012, TI provided more global development opportunities to help build the skills and knowledge of leaders in our sales and business units. We believe that better leaders are critical to ensuring retention of our larger employee population.
Additionally, to ensure that we retain the hundreds of new college graduates that we hire, we ramped up our global rotation programs and accelerated the integration of new college graduates through customized development programs such as our Make an Impact program.
In November, TI outlined a reshaped business strategy focusing on markets that can grow and be profitable. This resulted in the elimination of select mobile and wireless business investments and approximately 1,700 positions worldwide.
We immediately communicated with employees who were directly affected by these changes, and began providing a range of assistance including compensation, benefits and job searching. Release timing varies, but should be complete by the end of 2013.
In 2012, TI:
- Successfully completed orientation for 3,496 new hires globally.
- Maintained a global turnover rate that continues to be below industry averages. In 2012, employee-initiated turnover was 7.6 percent, a slight increase over 2011.
- Continued retaining long-term employees. The average tenure of our global workforce was 12 years; 47 percent had been with TI for 10 years or more and 21 percent had worked for the company 20 years or more.
- Expanded networking and mentoring opportunities through 19 TI Diversity Network initiatives and launched a new Veterans Diversity Initiative.
In 2013, TI plans to:
- Create a strategic role to focus on strengthening "great workplace" initiatives and communications.
- Launch new communications portal – myInfolink – to help employees get custom access to the information of most interest and relevance to them.
- Expand our offering of employment development opportunities, including new technical curricula for many of our engineers and renewed mentoring initiatives.
- Launch the Make an Impact program globally to help ensure we quickly integrate, accelerate and retain our college hires around the world.