Results | Looking ahead
TI's focus with employee recognition in 2013 was to reinforce the importance of innovation and to broaden awareness of the company's numerous pioneering projects, processes and products. That's why we reached back to a previously successful employee program that had ended in 2008, Innovators in Action, and revived it with a few new twists.
The program recognizes employees or teams worldwide who contribute innovations that differentiate TI, open up new opportunities, help our customers solve problems, and/or positively impact society. A technical voting council comprising senior technology experts and leaders selects the winners.
We also highlighted employee innovations during the year within our business units and through a new initiative, DIY with TI. The DIY program promotes innovations created by employee hobbyists on their own time using TI devices. Their work - from baby heart monitors to grilling devices, from sound-generating costumes to kid-friendly clocks - was featured on Infolink, the employee intranet, and displayed during special DIY with TI events.
Employees also continued to improve our operations globally through efficiency measures, resource conservation, responsible sourcing practices and a variety of other initiatives. We recognized these environmental contributions internally, and received external recognition as well.
The TI Rewards and Recognition program helps managers recognize U.S. employees who make professional and team contributions by giving gift cards, travel vouchers, custom-designed apparel and other items.
- U.S. managers recognized about 5,200 employees for their contributions with non-cash items. They also acknowledged 462 employees' five-year service anniversaries and 231 employees who celebrated 25 years with TI.
- Many individual employees received recognition from external organizations for their contributions and accomplishments within the industry and their local communities.
- From nearly 200 nominations, TI recognized 17 employees as Innovators in Action. Winners received coverage on Infolink, recognition from senior leaders and commemorative items.
- Twelve individual employees and three teams received TI's Founders Community Service Awards for their outstanding community service efforts and contributions toward building a better future for the communities where we operate.
- Employees at sites in Germany, the Philippines, Japan and Mexico received 2013 Environmental, Safety and Health Excellence Awards for embodying TI's values and meeting aggressive safety and environmental goals.
- The Maine fabrication team received TI's Right Results, Right Behaviors Award for implementing an oxide slurry recycling system that reduces slurry consumption and saves $800,000 a year. This site also conserved 21,000 gallons of permeate water per day, saving $30,000 in utility expenses. Our Chengdu team in China received the same award for optimizing the make-up air and reverse osmosis systems to minimize heating requirements in colder weather. This has reduced natural gas and diesel use by about 90 percent over the last few years, saving about $600,000.
TI will continue honoring employees' accomplishments and recognitions globally through a variety of mechanisms. We will also encourage managers to use TI's Rewards and Recognition program to meaningfully recognize their team's successes and contributions.