Texas Instruments Committed to Furthering HIV/AIDS Knowledge
As a global company with deep and longstanding roots around the world, Texas Instruments takes its responsibilities as a corporate citizen seriously. This includes the health and welfare of its employees as well as those in our plant site communities in which HIV/AIDS is a serious concern. TI is committed to improving the HIV/AIDS situation and furthering knowledge by providing information and access to medical treatment for its employee population.
A summary of actions includes:
- AIDS educations materials are available and accessible to all employees in India. These materials explain how HIV/AIDS is contracted and how to prevent its spread. The Foundation hosted two open houses in 2005, specifically on this topic, for employees, families and friends. Additionally, in 2006, TI India observed World AIDS Day and sponsored "The ABCs of HIV/AIDS." Semi-annual activities are planned for 2007.
- On-site medical clinic that offers free medical consultation to all employees year round. The clinic is staffed with medical doctors who provide advice on a wide range of illnesses including HIV/AIDS.
- Private and personal counseling services, either on-line, by phone or face to face. The program is completely funded by TI and covers a diverse set of counseling requirements including medical conditions, stress and relationships.
- Full medical coverage to employees and family members living with HIV or AIDS.
- Extensive and non-discriminatory medical reimbursement for employees and family members.
- Hospitalization for HIV/AIDS not covered by insurance is paid by the company.
Other TI locations
- Medical insurance for employees and family members in all locations without government sponsored insurance, which includes HIV/AIDS coverage.
- Non-discriminatory hiring policy regarding health issues.
- Extensive company funded employee assistance programs to cover counseling on issues such as medical conditions.
- Easily accessible medical care at some TI locations.
- Comprehensive health and wellness programs and promotions to enhance knowledge of communicable diseases.
- AIDS LifeWalk – TI has participated and/or served as a corporate sponsor for a decade. The Walk is the biggest AIDS fundraiser in the state of Texas and has raised millions of dollars for services benefiting people with the disease. TI uses the event to raise awareness among its north Texas population and bring together several diversity initiatives to band together to raise money. In conjunction with the LifeWalk, TI has sponsored fundraising activities to build momentum and boost participation.
- AIDS Organizations – TI actively supports employee participation in a number of AIDS related organizations. Others serve on local boards.
- United Way – As the largest corporate supporter of United Way of Metropolitan Dallas, TI indirectly benefits organizations such as AIDS Arms, AIDS Services of North Texas, American Red Cross, Dallas Urban League, Dental Health Programs, Resource Center of Dallas and Visiting Nurses Association of Texas – all United Way agencies with significant programs related to AIDS.
- Philanthropic support – The TI Foundation made an $80,000 grant to the AIDS Interfaith Network, a group supporting education, prevention, case management, outreach, advocacy and day care. The company also regularly supports AIDS Services of Dallas, AIDS Resource Center, AIDS Arms and AIDS Interfaith Network through philanthropy. An additional grant of $70,000 was made in 2007 for operating expenses.
- TI sponsored a forum entitled "Crisis on Crisis; The Increasing Impact of HIV/AIDS" in Dallas. The seminar was part of World AIDS Day in 2005.
- In light of the Ryan White funding cuts, TI is also actively involved in helping to build the Dallas Coalition of AIDS Services (DCAS) Providers which will bring together many of the existing providers in a more effective and efficient service model.
- Sponsorship of the Dallas Chapter of the American India Foundation fundraiser for Indian women and families affected by HIV/AID, TI honored for its global activities to support HIV/AIDS education.
Take a look at TI's social and environmental performance in 2007