6.3 ROM Libraries
The MSP430FR235x and MSP430FR215x devices in the MSP430FR4xx family have MSP430 Driver Library and FFT Library in ROM.
MSP430 software libraries in ROM are tested to work with both Code Composer Studio and IAR Embedded Workbench toolchains.
- For the ROM image to be compatible between CCS and IAR tool chains, there are certain project properties restrictions. See the TI.com attribute guide for more details.
- To use DriverLib in ROM, #include "rom_driverlib.h". Header file checks continue to provide helpful hints at build time until the user application adheres to __cc_rom.
- To use FFTLib in ROM, #include "DSPLib.h". FFTLib is a subset of the MSP software library DSPLib.
- For more information, see the MSP430 Driver Library for MSP430FR2xx_4xx ROM README and MSP DSP Library ROM README in MSP430Ware. The library ROM image is located above the 64KB memory address. Application code using ROM must be large code model (20-bit address pointer rather than 16-bit address pointer).
Benefits of ROM library use include:
- Code execution at clock speeds that exceed 8 MHz is faster from ROM than from FRAM, because the code avoids FRAM wait states (except FRAM controller cache hits). Without FRAM wait states, code execution performance is limited by only the processor clock, which is generally faster than other subsystems. Executing code from RAM gives comparable performance, but the available RAM size is typically more limited.
- More nonvolatile storage (FRAM) available in the device is left for application code.