The electrical performance of data converters depends on the cleanliness of their supply voltages. Linear regulators (LDOs) are commonly used but have low efficiency and high power loss, which is unsuitable for portable applications.
Using a switch mode power supply (SMPS) instead, such as the (...)
- Efficiency increase from 47% to 83%
- Input current reduced from 620 mA to 350 mA
- No linear regulators (LDOs) required to cleanly power ADC
- 12-bit performance maintained
- Smaller DC/DC solution size than LDOs
- Supports 5-V input