Chip Block Diagram | OMAP3440 Processor | Key Features
Chip Block Diagram
The OMAP3440 processor offers increased performance and advanced multimedia benefits targeting mobile devices that require high applications and multimedia performance. The OMAP3440 applications processor brings full HD camcorder functionality to mobile devices, giving users the ability to record high-definition (HD) video, as well as enjoy new applications enabled by the large displays in the latest Smartphones and Mobile Internet Devices (MIDs). The OMAP3440 leverages TI’s high performance IVA 2+ multimedia accelerator to support 720p HD video record and playback, unleashing user creativity behind the lens. Additionally, at the heart of the OMAP3440 is a superscalar ARM® Cortex™-A8 that provides up to 800 MHz of performance to enhance applications that take advantage of the larger displays used in high performance mobile devices.
Graphics. The OMAP3440 processor embeds Imagination Technologies' POWERVR SGX™ graphics core, and supports OpenGL ES® 2.0 and OpenVG™, providing superior graphics performance and advanced user interface capabilities. TI is enabling sophisticated and dynamic images with "smart pixel" technology offered via OpenGL ES 2.0. This unique technology allows each pixel in an image to be programmed individually, giving user interface and gaming developers the power to create rich effects with cinematic realism. Users will now experience "life-like" facial features, advanced reflection effects and multi-textured backgrounds in the mobile environment.
Productivity.Like the rest of the OMAP 3 product family, the OMAP3440 integrates the ARM Cortex-A8 superscalar microprocessor core. Combined with TI's technology in the OMAP3440, the ARM Cortex-A8 enables faster user interfaces, faster data access and boosts productivity and entertainment applications on the mobile phone, while maintaining power efficiencies expected in a handset.
- The OMAP™ 3 architecture combines mobile entertainment with high performance productivity applications
- Advanced Superscalar ARM® Cortex™-A8 RISC core enabling 3x gain in performance
- Designed in 65-nm CMOS process technology for increased processing performance
- IVA 2+ accelerator enables multi-standard (MPEG4, WMV9, RealVideo, H263, H264) encode/decode at D1 (720 x 480 pixels) 30 fps
- Up to 720p HD resolution encode/decode
- Dedicated Imagination POWERVR SGX 2D/3D graphics hardware gives user interface and gaming developers the power to create rich graphics effects with cinematic realism
- Support for OpenGL ES 1.1, ES 2.0, and OpenVG
- Integrated I mage S ignal P rocessor (ISP) for faster, higher-quality image capture and lower system cost
- Flexible system support
- Composite and S-video TV output
- XGA (1024 x 768 pixels), 16 M-color (24-bit definition) display support
- Flatlink™ 3G-compliant serial display and parallel display support
- High Speed USB 2.0 On-The-Go support
- Leverages SmartReflex™ technologies for advanced power reduction
- M-shield™ mobile security enhanced with ARM TrustZone™ support
- Software-compatible with OMAP™ 2 processors
- Supports Linux, Android Mobile Platform, Symbian and Windows Mobile