Different by design
Learn about our capacitive isolation technology
What is isolation?
Isolation is about reliable protection
Galvanic isolation is a circuit design technique that allows two circuits to communicate and eliminates any unwanted direct current that flows between them.
Isolation is used most commonly to:
- Protect human operators and low-voltage circuitry from high voltages.
- Prevent ground potential differences between communicating subsystems.
- Improve noise immunity.
TI's capacitive barrier is designed for strength
Dielectric strength is the foundation of an isolator
Our high-quality isolators are built in our closely controlled wafer manufacturing facilities. In contrast, other isolation technologies, such as optocouplers, are built in assembly houses which can result in flaws and part-to-part variation.
- We use the industry's highest dielectric strength insulator, SiO2, for the capacitive isolation barrier of our devices.
- Each capacitive barrier is built using TI proprietary technology with strength exceeding 12.8 kV of isolation surge-voltage protection with a specified isolation voltage of 5.7 kV.
Isolation designed for high voltage
Reinforced isolation barrier design is key
The dual-capacitive isolation barrier offers reliable, high-voltage protection.
- Our two-die design is separated by two capacitors.
- The left and right die of a TI reinforced digital isolator sit on a split lead frame, each with its own high-voltage capacitor.
- The two die are connected through bond wires which serve as the only connection between the left and right side of the isolation device.
Designed for quality & reliability
Strength, quality and the most reliable isolation barrier lifetime
Industry certifications for isolation devices require high-voltage lifetime testing as proof of high-voltage robustness and reliability. Our on-site high-voltage labs and expert isolation technologists have worked for decades to develop and test high-quality, robust and reliable isolation barriers for our isolation products.
- Test data for our isolators demonstrates the industry's highest working voltage, with expected lifetimes over 100 years—more than 5 times the industry-standard 20 year minimum required for a certified digital isolation device.
- We use the highest quality mold compound (CTI Level 1) and robust packaging to meet creepage and clearance requirements for high-voltage IEC standards.
- Our isolation devices are certified across the latest industry standards, including the most recently released VDE 0884-11 requirements.