LDC1612, LDC1614 Multi-Channel 28-Bit Inductance to Digital Converter (LDC) for Inductive Sensing
SNOSCY9 – December2014
- Easy-to-use – minimal configuration required
- Measure up to 4 sensors with one IC
- Multiple channels support environmental and aging compensation
- Multi-channel remote sensing provides lowest system cost
- Pin-compatible medium and high-resolution options
- LDC1312/4: 2/4-ch 12-bit LDC
- LDC1612/4: 2/4-ch 28-bit LDC
- Sensing range beyond two coil diameters
- Supports wide sensor frequency range of 1kHz to 10MHz
- Power consumption:
- 35 µA Low Power Sleep Mode
- 200 nA Shutdown Mode
- 3.3V operation
- Support internal or external reference clock
- Immune to DC magnetic fields and magnets
- Knobs in consumer, appliances, and automotive
- Linear and rotational encoders
- Buttons in home electronics, wearables, manufacturing, and automotive
- Keypads in manufacturing and appliances
- Slider buttons in consumer products
- Metal detection in industrial and automotive
- POS and EPOS
- Flow meters in consumer and appliances
The LDC1612 and LDC1614 are 2- and 4-channel, 28-bit inductance to digital converters (LDCs) for inductive sensing solutions. With multiple channels and support for remote sensing, the LDC1612 and LDC1614 enable the performance and reliability benefits of inductive sensing to be realized at minimal cost and power. The products are easy to use, only requiring that the sensor frequency be within 1 kHz and 10 MHz to begin sensing. The wide 1 kHz to 10 MHz sensor frequency range also enables use of very small PCB coils, further reducing sensing solution cost and size.
The high resolution channels allow for a much larger sensing range, maintaining good performance beyond two coil diameters. Well-matched channels allow for differential and ratiometric measurements, which enable designers to use one channel to compensate their sensing for environmental and aging conditions such as temperature, humidity, and mechanical drift.
Given their ease of use, low power, and low system cost these products enable designers to greatly improve performance, reliability, and flexibility over existing sensing solutions and to introduce brand new sensing capabilities to products in all markets, especially consumer and industrial applications.
These devices are easily configured via an I2C interface. The two-channel LDC1612 is available in a WSON-12 package and the four-channel LDC1614 is available in a WQFN-16 package.
|PART NUMBER||PACKAGE||BODY SIZE (NOM)|
|LDC1612||WSON-12||4 mm × 4 mm|
|LDC1614||WQFN-16||4 mm × 4 mm|
- For all available packages, see the orderable addendum at the end of the datasheet.
Measurement Precision vs. Target Distance
Copyright© , Texas Instruments Incorporated. An IMPORTANT NOTICE at the end of this data sheet addresses availability, warranty, changes, use in safety-critical applications, intellectual property matters and other important disclaimers.Submit Documentation Feedback