LM2596 SIMPLE SWITCHER® Power Converter 150-kHz 3-A Step-Down Voltage Regulator (Rev. D)
SNVS124D – November1999 – revisedMay 2016
- 3.3-V, 5-V, 12-V, and Adjustable Output Versions
- Adjustable Version Output Voltage Range: 1.2-V to 37-V ± 4% Maximum Over Line and Load Conditions
- Available in TO-220 and TO-263 Packages
- 3-A Output Load Current
- Input Voltage Range Up to 40 V
- Requires Only 4 External Components
- Excellent Line and Load Regulation Specifications
- 150-kHz Fixed-Frequency Internal Oscillator
- TTL Shutdown Capability
- Low Power Standby Mode, IQ, Typically 80 μA
- High Efficiency
- Uses Readily Available Standard Inductors
- Thermal Shutdown and Current-Limit Protection
- Create a Custom Design Using the LM2596 with the WEBENCH Power Designer
- Simple High-Efficiency Step-Down (Buck) Regulator
- On-Card Switching Regulators
- Positive to Negative Converter
The LM2596 series of regulators are monolithic integrated circuits that provide all the active functions for a step-down (buck) switching regulator, capable of driving a 3-A load with excellent line and load regulation. These devices are available in fixed output voltages of 3.3 V, 5 V, 12 V, and an adjustable output version.
Requiring a minimum number of external components, these regulators are simple to use and include internal frequency compensation, and a fixed-frequency oscillator.
The LM2596 series operates at a switching frequency of 150 kHz, thus allowing smaller sized filter components than what would be required with lower frequency switching regulators. Available in a standard 7-pin TO-220 package with several different lead bend options, and a 7-pin TO-263 surface mount package.
|PART NUMBER||PACKAGE||BODY SIZE (NOM)|
|LM2596||TO-220 (7)||14.986 mm × 10.16 mm|
|TO-263 (7)||10.10 mm × 8.89 mm|
- For all available packages, see the orderable addendum at the end of the data sheet.
Copyright© 2016, Texas Instruments Incorporated. An IMPORTANT NOTICE at the end of this data sheet addresses availability, warranty, changes, use in safety-critical applications, intellectual property matters and other important disclaimers.Submit Documentation Feedback