OPT3002 Light-to-Digital Sensor (Rev. A)
SBOS745A – May2016 – revisedJune 2016
- Wide Optical Spectrum: 300 nm to 1000 nm
- Automatic Full-Scale Setting Feature Simplifies Software and Configuration
- Measurement Levels:
- 1.2 nW/cm2 to 10 mW/cm2
- 23-Bit Effective Dynamic Range With
Automatic Gain Ranging
- 12 Binary-Weighted, Full-Scale Range Settings:
< 0.2% (typ) Matching Between Ranges
- Low Operating Current: 1.8 µA (typ)
- Operating Temperature: –40°C to +85°C
- Wide Power-Supply: 1.6 V to 3.6 V
- 5.5-V Tolerant I/O
- Flexible Interrupt System
- Small Form Factor: 2.0 mm × 2.0 mm × 0.65 mm
- Intrusion and Door-Open Detection Systems
- System Wake-Up Circuits
- Medical and Scientific Instrumentation
- Display Backlight Controls
- Lighting Control Systems
- Tablet and Notebook Computers
- Thermostats and Home Automation Appliances
- Outdoor Traffic and Street Lights
The OPT3002 light-to-digital sensor provides the functionality of an optical power meter within a single device. This optical sensor greatly improves system performance over photodiodes and photoresistors. The OPT3002 has a wide spectral bandwidth, ranging from 300 nm to 1000 nm. Measurements can be made from 1.2 nW/cm2 up to 10 mW/cm2, without the need to manually select the full-scale ranges by using the built-in, full-scale setting feature. This capability allows light measurement over a 23-bit effective dynamic range. The results are compensated for dark-current effects, as well as other temperature variations.
Use the OPT3002 in optical spectral systems that require detection of a variety of wavelengths, such as optically-based diagnostic systems. The interrupt pin system can summarize the result of the measurement with one digital pin. Power consumption is very low, allowing the OPT3002 to be used as a low-power, battery-operated, wake-up sensor when an enclosed system is opened.
The OPT3002 is fully integrated and provides optical power reading directly from the I2C- and SMBus-compatible, two-wire, serial interface. Measurements are either continuous or single-shot. The OPT3002 fully-operational power consumption is as low as 0.8 µW at 0.8 SPS on a 1.8-V supply.
|PART NUMBER||PACKAGE||BODY SIZE (NOM)|
|OPT3002||USON (6)||2.00 mm x 2.00 mm|
- For all available packages, see the package option addendum at the end of the datasheet.
Copyright© 2016, Texas Instruments Incorporated. An IMPORTANT NOTICE at the end of this data sheet addresses availability, warranty, changes, use in safety-critical applications, intellectual property matters and other important disclaimers.Submit Documentation Feedback