OPT3006 Ultra-Thin Ambient Light Sensor
SBOS698 – October2016
- Precision Optical Filtering to Match Human Eye:
- Rejects > 99% (typ) of IR
- Automatic Full-Scale Setting Feature Simplifies Software and Provides Optimal Configuration
- Measurements: 0.01 lux to 83k lux
- 23-Bit Effective Dynamic Range With
Automatic Gain Ranging
- 12 Binary-Weighted Full-Scale Range Settings:
< 0.2% (typ) Matching Between Ranges
- Low Operating Current: 1.8 µA (typ)
- Operating Temperature Range: –40°C to +85°C
- Wide Power-Supply Range: 1.6 V to 3.6 V
- 5.5-V Tolerant I/O
- Flexible Interrupt System
- Small-Form Factor:
- 0.856 mm x 0.946 mm x 0.226 mm PicoStar™ Package
- OPT3006 is Smaller Version of OPT3001
- Smart Watches
- Wearable Electronics
- Health Fitness Bands
- Display Backlight Controls
- Lighting Control Systems
- Tablet and Notebook Computers
Spectral Response: The OPT3006 and Human Eye
The OPT3006 is a single-chip lux meter, measuring the intensity of visible light as seen by the human eye. The OPT3006 is available in an ultra-small PicoStar package, so the device fits into tiny spaces.
The precision spectral response of the sensor tightly matches the photopic response of the human eye. With strong infrared (IR) rejection, the OPT3006 accurately meters the intensity of light as seen by the human eye, regardless of the light source. The strong IR rejection also aids in maintaining high accuracy when design requires mounting the sensor under dark glass. The OPT3006, often in conjunction with backlight ICs or lighting control systems, creates light-based experiences for humans, and is an ideal replacement for photodiodes, photoresistors, or lower-performing ambient light sensors.
Measurements can be made from 0.01 lux up to 83k lux without manually selecting full-scale ranges by using the built-in, full-scale setting feature. This capability allows light measurement over a 23-bit effective dynamic range.
The digital operation is flexible for system integration. Measurements can be either continuous or single-shot. The control and interrupt system features autonomous operation, allowing the processor to sleep while the sensor searches for appropriate wake-up events to report with the interrupt pin. The digital output is reported over an I2C- and SMBus-compatible, two-wire serial interface.
The low power consumption and low power-supply voltage capability of the OPT3006 enhance the battery life of battery-powered systems.
|PART NUMBER||PACKAGE||BODY SIZE (NOM)|
|OPT3006||PicoStar (6)||0.856 mm x 0.946 mm x 0.226 mm|
- For all available packages, see the package option addendum at the end of the datasheet.
4 Revision History
|October 2016||*||Initial release.|
Copyright© 2016, Texas Instruments Incorporated. An IMPORTANT NOTICE at the end of this data sheet addresses availability, warranty, changes, use in safety-critical applications, intellectual property matters and other important disclaimers.Submit Documentation Feedback