PCM5242 4.2-VRMS DirectPath, 114-dB Audio Stereo Differential-Output DAC with 32-bit, 384-kHz PCM Interface (Rev. A)
SLASE12A – July2014 – revisedOctober 2014
- Differential DirectPath™ Ground Biased Outputs
- Market-Leading Low Out-of-Band Noise
- Selectable Digital-Filter Latency and Performance
- No DC Blocking Capacitors Required
- Integrated Negative Charge Pump
- Intelligent Muting System; Soft Up or Down Ramp and Analog Mute for 120dB Mute SNR
- Integrated High-Performance Audio PLL With BCK Reference to Generate SCK Internally
- Accepts 16-, 24-, and 32-Bit Audio Data
- PCM Data Formats: I2S, Left-Justified, Right-Justified, TDM
- SPI or I2C Control
- Software or Hardware Configuration
- Automatic Power-Save Mode When LRCK And BCK Are Deactivated
- 1.8V or 3.3V Failsafe LVCMOS Digital Inputs
- Single Supply Operation:
- 3.3V Analog, 1.8V or 3.3V Digital
- Integrated Power-On Reset
- Small 32-terminal QFN Package
- HiFi Smartphone
- A/V Receivers
- DVD, BD Players
- HDTV Receivers
The PCM5242 is a monolithic CMOS integrated circuit that includes a stereo digital-to-analog converter and additional support circuitry in a small QFN package. The PCM5242 uses the latest generation of TI’s advanced segment-DAC architecture to achieve excellent dynamic performance and improved tolerance to clock jitter.
The PCM5242 integrates a fully programmable miniDSP core, allowing developers to integrate filters, dynamic range controls, custom interpolators and other differentiating features to their products.
The PCM5242 provides 4.2VRMS ground-centered differential outputs, allowing designers to eliminate DC blocking capacitors on the output, as well as external muting circuits traditionally associated with single supply line drivers.
The integrated PLL on the device removes the requirement for a system clock (commonly known as master clock), allowing a 3-wire I2S connection and reducing system EMI.
|PART NAME||PACKAGE||BODY SIZE (NOM)|
|PCM5242||VQFN (32)||5.00mm × 5.00mm|
- For all available packages, see the orderable addendum at the end of the datasheet.
4 Simplified System Diagram
Simplified Block Diagram
Typical Performance (3.3V Power Supply)
|THD+N at - 1dBFS||–94dB|
|Full Scale Differential Output||4.2VRMS (GND center)|
|Normal 8× Oversampling Digital Filter Latency: 20tS|
|Low Latency 8× Oversampling Digital Filter Latency: 3.5tS|
|Sampling Frequency||8kHz to 384kHz|
|System Clock Multiples (fSCK): 64, 128, 192, 256, 384, 512, 768, 1024, 1152, 1536, 2048, 3072; up to 50 MHz|
Copyright© 2014, Texas Instruments Incorporated. An IMPORTANT NOTICE at the end of this data sheet addresses availability, warranty, changes, use in safety-critical applications, intellectual property matters and other important disclaimers.Submit Documentation Feedback