Recommended alternative parts
The device has INCREASED FUNCTIONALITY but is not pin for pin compatible and is not parametrically equivalent.
- The device has SIMILAR FUNCTIONALITY but is not functionally equivalent to the compared device.
The TMS320C67x DSPs are the floating-point DSP family in the TMS320C6000 DSP platform. The TMS320C6701 (C6701) device is based on the high-performance, advanced VelociTI very-long-instruction-word (VLIW) architecture developed by Texas Instruments (TI), making this DSP an excellent choice for multichannel and multifunction applications. With performance of up to 1 giga floating-point operations per second (GFLOPS) at a clock rate of 167 MHz, the C6701 offers cost-effective solutions to high-performance DSP programming challenges. The C6701 DSP possesses the operational flexibility of high-speed controllers and the numerical capability of array processors. This processor has 32 general-purpose registers of 32-bit word length and eight highly independent functional units. The eight functional units provide four floating-/fixed-point ALUs, two fixed-point ALUs, and two floating-/fixed-point multipliers. The C6701 can produce two multiply-accumulates (MACs) per cycle for a total of 334 million MACs per second (MMACS). The C6701 DSP also has application-specific hardware logic, on-chip memory, and additional on-chip peripherals.
The C6701 includes a large bank of on-chip memory and has a powerful and diverse set of peripherals. Program memory consists of a 64K-byte block that is user-configurable as cache or memory-mapped program space. Data memory consists of two 32K-byte blocks of RAM. The peripheral set includes two multichannel buffered serial ports (McBSPs), two general-purpose timers, a host-port interface (HPI), and a glueless external memory interface (EMIF) capable of interfacing to SDRAM or SBSRAM and asynchronous peripherals.
The C6701 has a complete set of development tools which includes: a new C compiler, an assembly optimizer to simplify programming and scheduling, and a Windows debugger interface for visibility into source code execution.
- Highest Performance Floating-Point Digital Signal Processor (DSP) TMS320C6701
- 8.3-, 6.7-, 6-ns Instruction Cycle Time
- 120-, 150-, 167-MHz Clock Rate
- Eight 32-Bit Instructions/Cycle
- 1 GFLOPS
- TMS320C6201 Fixed-Point DSP Pin-Compatible
- VelociTI Advanced Very Long Instruction Word (VLIW) C67x CPU Core
- Eight Highly Independent Functional Units:
- Four ALUs (Floating- and Fixed-Point)
- Two ALUs (Fixed-Point)
- Two Multipliers (Floating- and Fixed-Point)
- Load-Store Architecture With 32 32-Bit General-Purpose Registers
- Instruction Packing Reduces Code Size
- All Instructions Conditional
- Instruction Set Features
- Hardware Support for IEEE Single-Precision Instructions
- Hardware Support for IEEE Double-Precision Instructions
- Byte-Addressable (8-, 16-, 32-Bit Data)
- 8-Bit Overflow Protection
- Bit-Field Extract, Set, Clear
- 1M-Bit On-Chip SRAM
- 512K-Bit Internal Program/Cache (16K 32-Bit Instructions)
- 512K-Bit Dual-Access Internal Data (64K Bytes)
- 32-Bit External Memory Interface (EMIF) to Synchronous/Asynchronous Memories
- Glueless Interface to Synchronous Memories: SDRAM and SBSRAM
- Glueless Interface to Asynchronous Memories: SRAM and EPROM
- 52M-Byte Addressable External Memory Space
- Four-Channel Bootloading Direct-Memory-Access (DMA) Controller With an Auxiliary Channel
- 16-Bit Host-Port Interface (HPI)
- Access to Entire Memory Map
- Two Multichannel Buffered Serial Ports (McBSPs)
- Direct Interface to T1/E1, MVIP, SCSA Framers
- ST-Bus-Switching Compatible
- Up to 256 Channels Each
- Serial-Peripheral-Interface (SPI) Compatible (Motorola)
- Two 32-Bit General-Purpose Timers
- Flexible Phase-Locked-Loop (PLL) Clock Generator
- IEEE-1149.1 (JTAG) Boundary-Scan-Compatible
- 352-Pin Ball Grid Array (BGA) Package (GJC Suffix)
- 0.18-µm/5-Level Metal Process
- 3.3-V I/Os, 1.8-V Internal (120-, 150-MHz)
- 3.3-V I/Os, 1.9-V Internal (167-MHz Only)
VelociTI is a trademark of Texas Instruments.
Motorola is a trademark of Motorola, Inc.
IEEE Standard 1149.1-1990 Standard-Test-Access Port and Boundary Scan Architecture.
TMS320C6000 is a trademark of Texas Instruments.
Windows is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation.
Other qualified versions of TMS320C6701
||TI's standard catalog product
||QML certified for Military and Defense Applications
||Supports Defense, Aerospace and Medical Applications