BQ40Z50-R3 device firmware: 1-4 Series li-ion battery pack manager | battery fuel (gas) gauge
This product has been released to the market and is available for purchase. For some products, newer alternatives may be available.
- BQ40Z50-R3 Technical Reference Manual (Rev. A)
(PDF 1706 KB)
28 Feb 2019
The BQ40Z50-R3 is a FW only release that can be flashed onto any existing BQ40Z50 hardware such as the BQ40Z50-R2, BQ40Z50-R1, or BQ40Z50 device. The firmware incorporates the patented Impedance Track™ technology to create a pack-based solution that provides a rich array of features for gas gauging, protection, and authentication for 1-series, 2-series, 3-series, and 4-series cell Li-ion and Li-polymer battery packs.
Using its integrated high-performance analog peripherals, the BQ40Z50-R3 device measures and maintains an accurate record of available capacity, voltage, current, temperature, and other critical parameters in Li-Ion or Li-Polymer batteries, and reports this information to the system host controller over an SMBus v1.1 compatible interface.
The BQ40Z50-R3 device supports Intel® dynamic battery power technology (Intel® DBPT) version 3.0 by providing the available max power, max current, Vload and Rhfeffective that are used by the system for real time power management. The BQ40Z50-R3 provides software-based 1st- and 2nd-level safety protection against overvoltage, undervoltage, overcurrent, short-circuit current, overload, and overtemperature conditions, as well as other pack- and cell-related faults. The BQ40Z50-R3 has many additions and improvements from the BQ40Z50-R2 which are detailed in the device comparison document SLUA874.
SHA-1 authentication, with secure memory for authentication keys, enables identification of genuine battery packs.
- The BQ40Z50-R3 firmware is usable on any previous version of the BQ40Z50 hardware
- Supports Intel® dynamic battery power technology (Intel® DBPT) version 3.0 by providing the available max power, max current, Vload and Rhfeffective
- New expanded lifetime logging capabilities with customer configurable boundaries
- Lifetime timers in seconds
- Individual cell balancing data logging
- GPIO mapping on the LED pins (if LEDs are not used) to display status or flag conditions
- New features for deep sleep, filters for smoothing, and error code for SMBUS protocol violations