View the Important Notice for TI Designs covering authorized use, intellectual property matters and disclaimers.
- Thermocouple AFE Using RTD and Internal Temperature Sensor of ADS1220 for CJC
(PDF 10770 KB)
16 Nov 2014 1,135 views
The sole objective of this reference design is to provide comprehensive details on how to design a simple, robust, and accurate analog front end (AFE) circuit for making precision temperature measurements with thermocouple sensors. TIDA-00168 explains the theory, operation, and complications involved in a step-by-step manner. Additionally, this reference design emphasizes topics like error analysis, the necessity of an anti-aliasing filter, biasing resistors for sensor diagnostics, CJC, linearization technique for sensor data, and the design challenges of printed circuit boards.
- Sensor input: K-Type thermocouple
- Thermocouple Temperature range of –200°C to 1372°C
- Noise free resolution: 0.02ºC
- Cold Junction Compensation (CJC) using
- Resistance Temperature Detector (RTD) or the internal temperature sensor of the ADS1220
- Designed to meet IEC61000-4 Standards:
- Electrical Fast Transients (EFTs), Electrostatic Discharge (ESD), and Surge
- Field Transmitter operating temperature range of –40°C to 85°C