View the Important Notice for TI Designs covering authorized use, intellectual property matters and disclaimers.
- Touch Through Glass with Sharp ® LCD Design Guide (Rev. A)
(PDF 2350 KB)
01 Sep 2016 587 views
Human machine interface (HMI) is an essential part of process plants because it is one of the major ways through which humans and machines interact. The TIDA-00494 reference design offers an HMI solution for harsh and hazardous area applications. In process plants, operators are required to interact with keypads for programming functions, encapsulated in explosive proof screw-on metallic enclosures with thick glass windows for local readouts through a liquid-crystal display (LCD).
This TI Design uses MSP430™ microcontrollers (MCUs) with TI CapTIvate™ technology which allows the operator to interact with the keypad without needing to open the enclosure, saving time by avoiding work permit or plant shutdown. The operator can read results from a LCD and get notified with a light-emitting diode (LED) with only one integrated circuit (IC).
- Single and multistep button touch
- Four robust buttons option implemented
- Finger detection through 10mm thick glass
- Four LEDs and ultra-low power LCD as feedback
- Work with gloves and in harsh environment(water, oil, dust, etc)
- Temperature Range: -40°C to 85°C