View the Important Notice for TI Designs covering authorized use, intellectual property matters and disclaimers.
- Capacitor-Based Backup Power Supply for PLC Modules Design Guide (Rev. A)
(PDF 1219 KB)
14 Oct 2015 363 views
TIDA-00500 is a reference design to provide power to load for short duration of time after a power interrupt has occurred. Traditionally Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) are equipped with a recharge battery source for alternative power. This battery source often suffers from drawbacks like complex charging topologies, charging time, periodic maintenance, and eco-hazards. In scenarios where PLCs need to be functional for a short duration of time after power interrupt, a capacitor based backup is a much simpler and more effective approach because of the higher power density in comparison to a standard battery-based solution.
- Backup energy up to 6 joules (J)
- Inrush current protection with auto retry
- Capacitor charging time less than 0.5s
- Lower BOM Cost
- Design guide provides detailed description and performance test data