Capacitive Touch Thermostat UI with MSP MCUs Featuring CapTIvate Technology Reference Design
View the Important Notice for TI Designs covering authorized use, intellectual property matters and disclaimers.
- Capacitive Touch Thermostat User Interface Design Guide
(PDF 2173 KB)
06 Oct 2015 216 views
TIDM-CAPTIVATE-THERMOSTAT-UI is a low-power, capacitive touch based, thermostat user interface reference design. It features an on-board MSP430TM MCU CapTIvate™ technology which provides robust capacitive touch measurements with a low-power profile, low response time, and increased noise immunity. The design supports multiple modes of operation, including a battery powered mode and a line powered mode. The battery powered mode operates with an average current consumption of less than 50 µA, allowing for two years of battery life on typical AAA batteries. Line powered mode is optimized for noise immunity at the commercial product level. The design features eight buttons that support both momentary and maintained switch implementations. Each button is accompanied by an LED which can be used to indicate touch or switch state.
• MSP430 CapTIvate™ MCU for capacitive touch sensing
• CapTIvate™ Design Center support enabling real-time customization of response time, sensitivity, and other parameters from a host PC
• Multiple modes of operation, including a battery powered mode for increased battery life and a line powered mode for increased noise immunity
• Less than 50µA average current in battery powered mode, allowing for 2 years of battery life on typical AAA batteries
• Conducted noise immunity at the commercial product level (IEC 61000-4-6 Class A @ 3 Vrms) in line powered mode
• Mutual capacitance technology enables 8 buttons with only MCU 6 pins
• Maintained state and momentary capacitive switch implementations
• Ferroelectric random access memory (FRAM) enables button state and configuration retention through power loss