View the Important Notice for TI Designs covering authorized use, intellectual property matters and disclaimers.
- Data Concentrator Smaller AMI Networks Reduces Infrastructure Cost Design Guide
(PDF 4696 KB)
20 Sep 2016 277 views
The TIDM-MINI-DC reference design implements a light-weight powerline communication (PLC) data concentrator (DC) solution integrated with an Ethernet Repeater feature. A power grid network is static, which means that once end-nodes are installed the number of nodes to be supported by a DC is fixed. Electric utilities often have many feeder lines with only a small number of end consumers. It is not cost-effective to install a high-performance DC solution capable of supporting a large number of end nodes for these feeders. This design offers a low-cost PLC DC solution to support smaller networks with an Ethernet Repeater (or Edge Router) feature to interconnect the local PLC network to an Ethernet-based backbone network so that a control center can control the PLC end-nodes directly.
- Supports a network up to 32 nodes with a light-weight data concentrator solution using the same platform as PLC service nodes
- Extends network coverage with PLC/ethernet repeater (or edge router) feature interconnecting ethernet and PLC networks
- TM4C1294 is a single-chip MCU device integrated with ethernet MAC/PHY
- Supports both CENELEC-A and FCC frequency bands with the mini-DC solution based on TMS320F28375S and AFE032