View the Important Notice for TI Designs covering authorized use, intellectual property matters and disclaimers.
This reference application demonstrates how to combine a Value Line MSP430 device, fixed-point software math libraries and an accelerometer for a low cost, ultra-low-power, simple orientation tracking solution. The MSP430 samples the accelerometer and performs calculations in real time to determine its orientation and to detect when it is in free fall. By utilizing the IQmathLib optimized fixed point software library and excluding a gyroscope, this design can run on battery power for extended periods of time. This solution could be used to monitor tilt, drops or theft enabling a number of asset monitoring applications.
- MSP430 G2 LaunchPad (MSP-EXP430G2) + CircuitCo Educational BoosterPack + Fuel Tank BoosterPack enable orientation tracking and tilt detection
- IQmathLib fixed point software for MSP430 provides optimized math performance
- The MSP430 samples an accelerometer at regular intervals and interprets the data as x,y,z components of gravity
- Arc Tangent is calculated to determine current orientation, including pitch and roll
- Source code is provided with projects for Code Composer Studio and IAR Embedded Workbench for MSP430