Touch on Metal Capacitive Sensing Add-on Board for the CapTIvate™ Development Kit
Texas Instruments MSP430™ microcontrollers (MCUs) with CapTIvate touch technology bring flexibility, innovation and reliability of capacitive touch metal inputs to applications ranging from appliances to portable electronics.
CapTIvate Metal Touch panel is an add-on board for the CapTIvate Development Kit (MSP-CAPT-FR2633) that allows designers and engineers evaluate touch on metal technology. This alternative technology to traditional capacitive touch sensors enables elegant designs of touch modules using stainless steel, aluminum alloys, brass and bronze.
MSP430 MCUs with CapTIvate technology use an alternate approach for metal overlays. The stack-up comprises of a printed circuit board with traditional capacitive touch sensors and a spacer topped with a metal overlay that is grounded. This mechanical structure forms a variable capacitor that generates changes in its value when force is applied to the buttons, sliders or wheels. The sensitivity of the CapTIvate peripheral allows detection of a few micron level deflection of the metal plate.
As an actuation force is needed to interact with the buttons, metal overlays are water proof, dirt proof and also work with thick gloves. Furthermore, based on the force and amount of deflection, designers can implement features incorporating pressure sensing or force on the buttons, sliders and wheels.
- Capacitave Touch with Metal Overlays
- Variable Force Touch Detection
- Multi-Key Touch
- 7-Segment Display Feedback
- Water, gunk and dirt proof
- CAPTIATE-METAL sensor board
- CAPTIVATE-PGMR not included; CAPTIVATE-PGMR is required for tuning and programming
- CapTIvate MCU Board (i.e. CAPTIVATE-FR2633 or CAPTIVATE-FR2676) not included
- MSP-CAPT-FR2633 CapTIvate MCU development kit not included