High End Timer (HET)
- Extending TI’s Hercules MCUs with the integrated flexible HET
(PDF 604 KB)
29 Sep 2015 370 views
The High-End Timer (HET) is a programmable timer co-processor available on TI’s high-performance Hercules Microcontrollers. The HET enables sophisticated timing functions for real-time control applications. Programming the HET provides an alternate approach to the use of costly FPGAs or ASICs which can take up valuable board space and consume unnecessary power.
The High End Timer Integrated Development Environment (HET IDE) is a windows based application that provides an easy way to get started developing and debugging code for the HET.
The simulation kernel provides full visibility into program execution and also break point capability to stop execution on specific instructions. Waveformer Pro from SynaptiCAD provides a professional tool for waveform creation and visualization.
For more information on how to get started with the HET IDE please refer to the wiki page.
- Create and save dedicated projects for a specific device configuration
- Edit and save configuration registers
- Create complex breakpoints on pin events or memory field comparisons
- Create and save input timing waveforms from external stimuli
- Drag and drop HET instructions for easy code development
- Algorithm Library with code samples
- Straightforward simulation environment with full visibility of the HET status
- Memory write triggers on time, cycle, pin event and interrupt
- Cycle Count and simulation time display
The HET IDE has 3 main components:
- Graphical User Interface for ease of use
- Simulation kernel
- Integrated waveform viewer from SynaptiCAD
The HET IDE also comes with code examples to make it even easier to get started.
Did your MCU just run out of resources?
Learn more about the Hercules High-End Timer (HET) and how it can help you create complex timing functions or even add additional communication interfaces. Download HET Whitepaper.
Get started quickly with High-End Timer
The HET IDE can export your custom HET program directly into HALCoGen, the free code generator for Hercules MCUs. All you need is a low cost Hercules LaunchPad and you’ll be able to test your HET Program in simulation and on actual hardware.