MSP430F5438 Experimenter Board
- MSP-EXP430F5438 Experimenter Board User's Guide (Rev. I)
(PDF 2584 KB)
11 Dec 2013 4,101 views
The MSP430F5438 Experimenter Board (MSP-EXP430F5438) is a microcontroller development for highly integrated, high performance MSP430F5438 MCUs. It features a 100-pin socket which supports the MSP430F5438A and other devices with similar pinout. The socket allows for quick upgrades to newer devices or quick applications changes. It is compatible with many TI low-power RF wireless development kits such as the CC2520EMK. The Experimenter Board helps designers quickly learn and develop using the F5xx MCUs, which provide low power, more memory and leading integration for applications such as energy harvesting, wireless sensing and automatic metering infrastructure (AMI).
A TI Flash Emulation Tool, like the MSP-FET430UIF, is required to program and debug the MSP430 on the experimenter board.
- Based on MSP430F5438 MCU for ultra-low power microcontroller designs that need enhanced functionality for energy harvesting, smart metering and wireless sensing applications
- Fast low power wireless development with eZ430-RF2500 tool, out-of-the-box platform for Z-Stack Pro and support for various TI Low Power Wireless RF evaluation modules, which cover the sub-1GHz and 2.4GHz frequency bands
- 138x110 dot-matrix LCD for rich user interfaces and fun games
- Multiple input/output options allow for fast system development: microphone, push buttons, USB and a 3.5mm headphone jack for analog output
- JTAG headers make the microcontroller accessible for programming and debugging as well as communication between the MSP430F5438 MCU and other external devices
- Compatible with Code Composer Studio
- Embedded software board design files are open source (SLAC228) and created using Eagle CAD software
The ECCN (Export Control Classification Number) classification for this tool will be the same as the included microcontrollers. To find ECCN information for a microcontroller, see the datasheet for that device.
Any use made of Texas Instruments (TI) classifications, whether it be ECCNs or HTS, is without recourse to TI and at the user’s risk. HTS and export classifications are subject to change. Your company, as the exporter of record, is responsible for determining the correct classification of any item at the time of export. Any HTS or export classification by TI is for TI’s internal use only and shall not be construed as a representation or warranty regarding the proper export classification nor relied upon to make licensing determinations.
- 100-pin socket for MSP430F5438A MCU:
- Digital I/O Pins: 34
- Accessible analog inputs (12-bit ADC): 5
- PWM outputs: 12
- Flash Memory (MSP430F5438): 256KB
- RAM (MSP430F5438): 16KB
- Clock Speed (MSP430F5438): 18MHz
- Communication (MSP430F5438)
- 4x UART/LIN/IrDA/SPI
- 4x I2C/SPI
- Power Supply sources: USB, FET, 2x AA batteries
- 5-position joystick (up, down, left, right, push down)
- 2 push buttons
- 2 LEDs
- 138x110 grayscale, dot-matrix LCD
- 3-Axis Accelerometer (ADXL330)
- Microphone (Amplified by TLV2760)
- 3.5mm audio output jack (Features TPA301, 350mW Mono Audio Power Amplifier)
- Support for TI Low Power RF Wireless Evaluation Modules and eZ430-RF2500T. Currently supported modules:
- CC1100/CC1101EMK – Sub-1GHz radio
- CC2500EMK – 2.4 GHz radio
- CC2420/CC2430EMK – 2.4 GHz 802.15.4 radio
- CC2520/CC2530EMK – 2.4 GHz 802.15.4 radio
- USB connectivity for data transfer
- JTAG header for real-time, in-system programming
Start developing on MSP platforms quickly and easily
Learn more about MSP430 Ultra-Low Power 16-bit and MSP432 Low-Power + Performance 32-bit MCU development tools and software available to you.
In need of additional performance?
Looking for more speed or the added performance of an ARM® Cortex®-M4F, with the same low power as MSP430 MCUs? Check out the MSP-EXP432P401R High Performance + Low Power LaunchPad.