Stellaris® Serial-to-Ethernet Reference Design Kit
View the Important Notice for TI Designs covering authorized use, intellectual property matters and disclaimers.
The Stellaris® Serial-to-Ethernet Reference Design Kit (RDK-S2E) offers a complete, open-tool, and ready-to-implement solution designed to add web connectivity to any serial device. Included in the RDK-S2E is the tiny-footprint Luminary Micro Stellaris Serial-to-Ethernet Module (MDL-S2E). The most common application for the MDL-S2E is for augmenting legacy products that only contain a serial port for a configuration or control interface. In addition, newer computers, especially laptop computers, do not necessarily have serial ports, and a serial connection is limited by cable length (typically 10 m). Simply installing a Stellaris Serial-to-Ethernet Module into the legacy serial device provides many benefits including no major board redesign or software changes, easy sharing on a network other than Ethernet, tiny form-factor for unobtrusive implementation, and 10-meter maximum cable length for serial connections is no longer a limitation.
The MDL-S2E is the first serial-to-Ethernet converter available with a highly integrated Cortex™-M3 microcontroller with 50 MHz of performance and ample single-cycle, on-chip Flash and SRAM memory for efficient network traffic handling. For maximum space savings, the Stellaris microcontroller is offered in a small BGA package and integrates the 10/100 Ethernet MAC and PHY on-chip.
The RDK-S2E ships with the MDL-S2E module. The MDL-S2E is a ready-for-production serial-to-Ethernet module with the following features:
- LM3S6432 in a 10 x 10 mm BGA package for reduced board size
- 10/100 Mbit Ethernet port
- Auto MDI/MDIX cross-over correction
- Traffic and link indicators Serial ports
- UART ports include RTS/CTS for flow control
- UART0 has RS232 levels, transceiver runs at up to 230.4 Kbaud
- UART1 has CMOS/TTL levels, can run at 1.0 Mbaud
- IP configuration with static IP address or DHCP
- Telnet server for access to serial port (VCP software included)
- Web server for module configuration
- UDP responder for device discovery
- Telnet client for Ethernet-based serial port extender
- Module supports 5 V and 3.3 V supplies
- Multiple mounting options
- JTAG port pads for factory programming
While the MDL-S2E is ready out-of-the-box for immediate integration in a system, complete software source files are included for simplified customization.
- Stellaris® Serial-to-Ethernet Module (MDL-S2E) RS-232 adaptor board
- Retractable Ethernet cable
- DB9 serial cable
- USB cable
- Reference Design Kit CD containing a Quickstart Guide, User's Manual, Software Reference Manual, Board Data Sheet, source code, BOM, schematics, and Gerber files
For the latest versions of Stellaris software, firmware and kit CDs, click on this link: