SM3320-BATT-EV Charge Controller Reference Design
View the Important Notice for TI Designs covering authorized use, intellectual property matters and disclaimers.
SM3320-BATT-EV Charge Controller Reference Design (Rev. C)
(PDF 1207 KB)
06 May 2013 962 views Read Abstract
The SM72442 MPPT digital controller and SM72295 photovoltaic full bridge drivers are designed to control high efficiency DC/DC conversion used in photovoltaic applications. This application note will detail the usage of those devices in a battery charging application. The reference design is meant to provide support for a wide variety of implementations, however, unless otherwise noted, this reference design system is shown charging a 12V commercial automotive lead acid battery.
If the battery voltage is very low, a slow charge current is applied and limited until the voltage rises above a pre-set threshold value Vt. The full charge current is then applied. Once full charge is detected on the voltage of the battery, the system switches to a floating charge and maintains the battery voltage at a fixed threshold. At any time, the system will run in MPPT mode if the available power is lower than the power required to achieve voltage or current regulation.
- 12V Lead Acid Battery
- Vin range = 15V to 45V Vmp (50V Voc)
- Max Input Current: Isc = 11A
- MPPT algorithm for optimized photovoltaic applications
- Up to 9A charging current
- Reverse current protection
- Trickle charge and fast charge mode
- Up to 98% converter efficiency
- 14.2V max charge voltage, 13.5V floating voltage
- Output voltage set-points can be re programmed