View the Important Notice for TI Designs covering authorized use, intellectual property matters and disclaimers.
- 90-265-VAC, 91% Efficiency, >0.94 PF Buck-PFC Plus 24-V, 30-W BLDC Ref Design (Rev. A)
(PDF 2970 KB)
12 May 2016 1,442 views
For achieving energy efficiency, ceiling fans and ventilation fans are moving from simple AC induction motors to brushless DC motors (BLDC). Operation of BLDC motors from AC supply requires AC-DC conversion with high efficiency and power factor. It also needs an inverter which is controlled efficiently for low noise operation. The reference design TIDA-00652 helps to meet these challenges of higher efficiency and power factor in a simpler way, by using a single stage power supply to convert the AC mains input into low voltage DC output. It also combines a fully integrated and well protected single chip sensor-less sinusoidal brushless motor controller for low noise operation.
- High efficiency, single power stage to convert 230 VAC to 24 VDC
- Buck PFC topology, to achieve high input Power Factor (>0.94) and high efficiency (>91%)
- Universal input capability (50/60 Hz, 90-265 VAC) with minimum variation in efficiency
- Startup and full speed operation even at 90 VAC Input
- Highly integrated and protected single chip, sinusoidal brushless motor controller reduces external parts count and helps avoiding motor control programming overhead
- IR Remote based speed control