View the Important Notice for TI Designs covering authorized use, intellectual property matters and disclaimers.
- Optical Front-End System Design Guide
(PDF 4180 KB)
26 Oct 2015 179 views
This reference design implements and measures a complete 120MHz wide bandwidth optical front end comprising a high speed transimpedance amplifier, fully differential amplifier, and high speed 14-bit 160MSPS ADC with JESD204B interface. Hardware and software are provided to evaluate the performance of the system in response to high speed optical pulses generated from the included laser driver and diode for applications including optical time domain reflectrometry (OTDR).
- Optical front-end design with demonstrated system performance
- High-speed signal path with >120MHz of bandwidth
- High-speed transimpedance amplifier for I-to-V conversion followed by a fully-differential amplifier driving a high-speed 14-bit ADC
- Ultra-fast laser-diode driver and laser diode to generate Tx signal
- Avalanche photo-diode (APD) front-end with on-board high-voltage supply
- Flexibility to easily change components in the optical, amplifier or data-converter signal-path