View the Important Notice for TI Designs covering authorized use, intellectual property matters and disclaimers.
- LIDAR-Pulsed Time-of-Flight Reference Design Using High-Speed Data Converters (Rev. B)
(PDF 1711 KB)
18 Jul 2017
Time-of-flight (ToF) optical methods for measuring distance with high precision are utilized in a variety of applications, such as laser safety scanners, range finders, drones, and guidance systems. This design details the advantages of a high-speed data-converter-based solution, including target identification, relaxed sample-rate requirements, and a simplified signal chain. The design also addresses optics, driver and receiver front-end circuitry, analog-to-digital converters (ADCs), digital-to-analog converters (DACs), and signal processing.
- Measurement range up to 9 m or greater
- Range measurement mean error of <±6 mm and standard deviation of <3 cm
- 5.75-W pulsed 905-nm near-infrared laser diode and driver with <1-mW average output power
- Laser collimation and photo receiver focusing optics
- Includes 14-bit, 125-MSPS ADCs and 16-bit, 500-MSPS DAC high-speed amplifiers and clocking
- Pulsed ToF measurement method with DFT-based range estimation
- Automotive grade versions available for select devices