View the Important Notice for TI Designs covering authorized use, intellectual property matters and disclaimers.
- 650W Power Stage w/o Heat Sink Ref Design for Low-Freq Offline UPS and Inverters
(PDF 3202 KB)
22 Sep 2017 210 views
This reference design is a 650-W inverter power stage designed for low-frequency (transformer-based), single-phase UPS operating from a 12-V battery. The design enables low form factor and high-efficiency implementation, taking advantage of the TI SMD MOSFET in a SON5x6 package with very low RDS(on) and low gate charge (Qg). Using two devices in parallel for each leg of the full-bridge power stage, the power stage eliminates the need of a heat sink, which reduces overall system cost.
- Designed for standby or offline UPS from 100 VA to 850 VA; can be extended up to 1.5 kVA with additional FETs in parallel
- Solution with SMD MOSFETs enhances manufacturability and assembly of UPS
- No heat sink for power dissipation reduces system cost and production time
- Tested and validated for 100-W to 650-W operation with bulb loads
- Typical efficiency of ≈95%, maximum efficiency of >98.5%
- Protections for overcurrent, short circuit, overvoltage, and undervoltage