MSP MCUs featuring CapTIvate™ technology are the newest generation of capacitive touch solutions from TI. These MCUs are the lowest power capacitive touch microcontrollers in the world and the first to feature an IEC61000-4-6 certified solution. Get started with the MSP CapTIvate MCU Development Kit, proximity sensors design guide and proximity sensing and gestures example project.
View the Important Notice for TI Designs covering authorized use, intellectual property matters and disclaimers.
This reference design, featuring the Value Line MSP430 MCUs (MSP430G2xx) with unique PinOsc capability, can implement a simple mechanism to measure capacitance. This capability not only allows for touch detection, but also provides enough sensitivity to support proximity applications. This implementation demonstrates a 10+ cm proximity range.
- Low power, simple capacitive proximity sensing application
- Leverages unique pin oscillation I/O available on MSP430 Value Line MCUs
- Demonstrates greater-than 10cm proximity range detection
- Implements the "Fast RO" method for a portable, battery powered consumer product
- Includes all hardware & software design files
- PC-side GUI is also available to aid in development