TPS50301HTEVM Evaluation Module
The TPS50301-HT DC/DC converter is designed to provide up to a 3-A output in single phase operation. TPS50301HTEVM incorporates external current limit circuitry that limits the current to safe range thus providing added protection when operating in extreme temperature conditions.
In parallel operation mode two single TPS50301HTEVMs can also be configured such that each phase provides 3 A and, with current sharing between phase 1 (EVM 1) and phase 2 (EVM 2), a total of 6 A can be provided to meet system needs. This configuration will provide higher reliability (MTBF) for system needs due to reduced stresses on components and higher efficiency.
The TPS50301HTEVM implements split-input power rails with separate input voltage inputs for the power stage and control circuitry. The power stage input voltage (PVIN) is rated for 1.6 V to 6.3 V while the control input voltage (VIN) is rated for 3 V to 6.3 V. The TPS50301HTEVM provides both input voltages but it is designed and tested using the PVIN connected to VIN. Rated input voltage and output current ranges for the EVM are given in Table 1. This EVM is designed to demonstrate features of the TPS50301-HT, as well as to provide flexibility so that input/output capacitors and output inductors, as well as other components (such as frequency adjust range, output voltage and compensations components) can be modified when evaluating the TPS50301-HT converter using this EVM.
TPS50301-HT will operate with switching frequency of 100-kHz to 1-MHz range. For the EVM, 100 kHz was selected as it would provide higher efficiency. The high-side and low-side MOSFETs are incorporated inside the TPS50301-HT package along with the gate drive circuitry. The low drain-to-source on-resistance of the MOSFET allows the TPS50301-HT to achieve high efficiencies and helps keep the junction temperature low at high output currents. The compensation components are external to the integrated circuit (IC), and an external divider allows for an adjustable output voltage. Additionally, the TPS50301-HT provides adjustable soft start, tracking, and undervoltage lockout inputs.
For low noise operations TPS50301HTEVM also incorporates placeholder for an LDO (Ultra Low Dropout Regulator) which can provide an alternate low noise output by using the output of TPS50301HT buck converter as an input source.
- High Efficiency 95% -(Vout = 3.3V typical)
- Integrated 55-mΩ/50-mΩ MOSFETs
- Split Power Rail: 1.6 V to 6.3 V on PVIN
- Power Rail: 3 V to 6.3 V on VIN
- Flexible Switching Frequency Options:
- –100-kHz to 1-MHz Adjustable Internal Oscillator
- –External Sync Capability from 100 kHz to 1 MHz
- –Sync Pin Can Be Configured as a 500-kHz Output for Master/Slave Applications
- 0.795-V ±1.258% Voltage Reference at 25°C
- Monotonic Start-Up into Pre-Biased Outputs
- Adjustable Slow Start and Power Sequencing
- Power Good Output Monitor for Undervoltage and Overvoltage
- Adjustable Input Undervoltage Lockout
- For SWIFT™ Documentation, visit http://www.ti.com/swift
- Point of Load Regulation
- Supports Harsh Environment Applications
- Down-Hole Drilling
- TPS50301-HT Available in (–55°C to 125°C) Temperature Range (1)
- TPS50301-HT : Texas Instruments High temperature products utilize highly optimized silicon (die) solution with design and process enhancements to maximize performance over extended temperatures.
(1) Custom temperature ranges available
For summary of the voltage and output current options, please refer to the table below.
|EVM||Input Voltage Range (VIN= PVin)||VOUT||Output Current Range|
|TPS50301HTEVM||4.25 V to 6.3 V (Vin Start Voltage = 4.5 V)||2.5V||0 A to 3 A|