Software development tools for your TI LaunchPad™ development kit
TI LaunchPad kits are supported by a wide offering of software development tools. From intuitive, easy-to-use tools like the Energia integrated development environment (IDE), to cloud-hosted coding environments like CCS Cloud, to full-blown IDEs like Code Composer Studio™ IDE, developers will find the right tool for individual needs.
Regardless of the programming style that you are comfortable with, many of the IDE options below can support it. Happy coding!
Choose your coding style
The microcontrollers featured on the various TI LaunchPad™ kits are supported by various software resources and coding styles. You're not locked into a specific coding style with any of the IDEs - rather, you can easily migrate from one to another and back, utilizing the advantages of each option.
Explore some of the coding styles below, from Energia for Arduino users, Peripheral Drivers & Baremetal, and TI-RTOS.
SimpleLink™ MCU SDK for SimpleLink MCU LaunchPad kits
TI’s new SimpleLink MCU portfolio sets a new standard for developers – a single software environment that delivers flexible hardware, software and tool options for your Internet of Things (IoT) applications. With 100% code reuse you are no longer limited to one MCU or one connectivity standard. A one-time investment with the SimpleLink software development kit (SDK) opens the door to create unlimited applications.
Energia for Arduino users
Many TI LaunchPad kits are supported by Energia, a fork of the Arduino/Wiring framework.
- This language offers high software abstraction that provides easy APIs ideal for rapid prototyping.
- Based on Arduino and Wiring framework and allows easy reuse of existing Arduino libraries
- Multitasking support through integration with TI-RTOS (run multiple Energia sketches in parallel)
- Includes IDE for TI devices
- Supports most TI LaunchPad development kits and associated BoosterPack plug-in modules
Peripheral drivers and application packages for bare metal (no OS) support
TI LaunchPad kits and their featured microcontrollers can also be programmed using lower level C coding (bare metal). MCU software packages include everything you need when developing on a TI microcontroller.
- TI MCU software packages provide everything needed for the hobbyist or system developer
- Robust packages include: GUI-based peripheral configuration tools, driver libraries, and application specific libraries such as motor control or touchscreen. These are augmented with an extensive set of examples, and documentation.
- Libraries can also be used to create RTOS drivers.
- SimpleLink™ MCU SDK for SimpleLink Connected MCUs
- MSP430Ware™ software for MSP430™ MCUs
- ControlSUITE™ software for C2000 microcontrollers
- C2000™ designDRIVE software for industrial drive and motor control
- MotorWare™ software for developing InstaSPI-FOC™ and InstaSPIN-MOTION™ based applications
- TivaWare™ software for TM4C/Stellaris microcontrollers
- Hardware abstraction layer code generator (HALCoGen) for Hercules™ microcontrollers
Energia is an intuitive IDE that is based on the popular & easy-to-use processing (processing.org) IDE. In addition to being a simple IDE, Energia is also supported by a robust framework of intuitive APIs that is based on Wiring. The Energia IDE also supports in-line C, assembly & Driver Library based code.
Energia is supported in Windows, Mac & Linux
*Note that not all LaunchPad kits are supported by Energia.
Support for various TI LaunchPad kits
- Consistent IDE across microcontroller MCU families
- Leverage the same IDE for editing, compiling & flashing code. Seam-less code compatibility between MSP430™, MSP432™, TM4C, CC3200 & other MCU devices.
Integrated Serial Monitor
- Communicate with your LaunchPad kit serially.
- Energia offers a bult-in serial monitor. The terminal enables bi-directional communication to your LaunchPad kit at various baud rates.
Jam-packed with examples
- Get going with open source sample code.
- The Energia IDE comes with a huge set of code examples baked in. Learn to toggle I/O, read ADC channels, send data via SPI/I2C & more.
Rapid development with easy API
- Compatible with Wiring framework
- Rapid prototype your next application with Energia's easy-to-use API set based on the Arduino & Wiring open source projects.
Energia is Open Source
- It's all on GitHub
- Take a look at the source code & if you're interested, contribute to the project! We'd be glad to have you.
Multi-tasking with Energia MT
- Run multiple sketches in parallel.
- Some Energia-enabled LaunchPad development kits are supported by Energia MT (Multi-tasking). Run multiple sketches in parallel!
CCS Cloud is a cloud-based IDE that enables code editing, compilation & flashing of your TI LaunchPad kit - all in a web browser! Get started immediately without the need for a lengthy download/install process.
CCS Cloud enables both Energia & traditional C-code programming styles & is available for many LaunchPad development kits.
Edit, compile & Flash code online
- Get up and running ASAP.
- CCS Cloud offers a powerful & instant browser-based IDE for editing, compiling & flashing code to your LaunchPad kit.
Debug in the cloud
- Set breakpoints & watch variables
- Debug your code in the cloud! Set breakpoints, watch variables & step through your code & squash bugs in a web browser!
Auto completion as you type
- Making code–creation easier.
- CCS Cloud has auto-completion to prevent typos & improve coding efficiency! You can also jump to definition of variables/APIs for easy project navigation.
- Clean up your project view.
- Selectively hide and display – "fold" – sections of code to clean up the view of your code. Expose code only as-needed.
- See multiple files at once.
- CCS Cloud makes it easy to click & drag files around for a customized view of your project. Drag around debug, console & serial monitor windows as-needed.
- Revert back to previous versions easily.
- CCS Cloud makes it easy to revert back to previous versions of your project. Auto-save is also available so that you never lose your work.
- Have access to your projects everywhere.
- CCS Cloud provides a cloud-hosted workspace for projects. Continue to develop no matter where you are - simply log in & pick up where you left off.
Integration to TI Resource Explorer
- Instant access to code, documentation & resources
- Import code from TI Resource Explorer into CCS Cloud to immediately view, modify & compile code examples.
Download CCS Cloud projects locally
- You can download your CCS Cloud projects to your local machine enabling you to take those projects to offline IDEs.
- CCS Cloud makes it easy to leverage community-developed, open source code with the ability to clone/import GitHub repos.
Integrated serial monitor
- CCS Cloud features an integrated terminal for communicating with your LaunchPad serially. Multiple baud rates are supported.
Code Composer Studio IDE
For a full-featured IDE, there are several options available for TI LaunchPad Development Kits. Code Composer Studio is TI's eclipse-based IDE that supports all of TI's embedded processor portfolio. CCS IDEis jam-packed with features, offering developers with the most flexibility & capabilities within the IDE.
TI LaunchPad Development Kits are also supported by other professional IDE options, including IAR Embedded Workbench®, Keil & more.
Supports all TI Embedded Processors
- MCU, Wireless Connectivity & Processors
- CCS is an Eclipse-based IDE that supports all Embedded Processors from TI, offering a consistent development environment.
Full-featured code editor & debugger
- Everything you need to develop in one tool
- CCS IDEoffers a powerful Eclipse-based IDE for code editing, compiling, debugging, power-profiling & more.
EnergyTrace (Only some devices support this
- Measure your applications current consumption
- Drive down your application’s current consumption with helpful power profiling & debug tools for improved power optimization.
ULP Advisor (MSP devices only)
- Compile-time tips for driving down power consumption
- Extract the most battery-life in your MSP-based application with the helpful recommendations of ULP Advisor
Integrated with TI Resource Explorer
- Get instant access to relevant development resources
- Browse through datasheets, code examples & more in TI Resource Explorer. Import code directly into CCS to start development immediately.
Third party partners
Each LaunchPad kit offers a scalable & diverse software tool ecosystem. Each Launchpad kit is supported by third party IDEs, flash tools, peripheral configuration tools and more. Explore each LaunchPad kit offering to see more!
ARM® Keil® MDK is a complete debugger and C/C++ compiler toolchain for building and debugging embedded applications.
IAR Embedded Workbench is a complete debugger and C/C++ compiler toolchain for building and debugging embedded applications.