The industry's first weigh scale and body composition
analog front end from TI
TI introduces the industry's first fully integrated analog front end for both weight and body composition measurement (BCM). The AFE4300 is an easy-to-use, precision, low-power front end solution, which allows engineers designing weigh scales that incorporate body composition meters, body impedance analyzers, and impedance measurement equipment to get their products to market faster than by implementing existing, more complex multi-chip solutions.
The AFE4300 incorporates two separate signal chains, one targeting weight measurement and the other targeting body composition analysis, with a 16-bit, 860-sps analog-to-digital converter (ADC) multiplexed between them. The device's three BCM channels enable segmental body impedance analysis (BIA) between body extremities, which allows for a full picture of the subject's body composition.
Features and Benefits:
- Easy to use for faster time to market: The AFE4300 integrates two separate signal chain front ends for weigh scale and dual body composition measurements into a single device, so that little to no in-house expertise is required to quickly add body composition measurements to weigh scales applications.
- Precision performance: The AFE4300's tetra-polar measurements eliminate electrode impedance-related inaccuracies. In addition, the device's three BCM channels enable segmental body impedance analysis (BIA) for measurement across the body including hand to hand, foot to foot, or even hand to foot, which increases overall measurement accuracy. The device also includes an option to accurately measure Extra Cellular Water (ECW) and Intra Cellular Water (ICW) using bio-impedance spectroscopy (BIS).
- Low power consumption: The AFE4300 consumes less than 1 mA, operating from a 2-V to 3.6-V power supply, to extend battery life.
|# Input Channels||2|
|PGA Gain (Typ) (V/V)||1, 2, 3, 4|
|Sample Rate (Max) (kSPS)||0.86|
|Reference Mode||Int , Ext|
|Offset Error (Typ) (uV)||0.25|
|Offset error drift (Typ) (uV/C)||80|
|Gain Error (Typ) (%)||5|
|Analog Voltage AV/DD (Min) (V)||2|
|Analog Voltage AV/DD (Max) (V)||3.6|
Featured Tools and Software
- AFE4300PN IBIS Model (Simulation Models)
- AFE4300 Weigh Scale/Body Composition Analog Front End Performance Demonstration Kit (Evaluation Modules & Boards)
- AFE4300 Datasheet
- Medical Applications Guide
(10.48 MB, PDF)
- Consumer Medical Applications Guide
(2.58 MB, PDF)
- Weigh scales incorporating body composition meters
- Body impedance analyzers
- Impedance measurement equipment