Get started with the LaunchPad Evaluation Platform from Texas Instruments
Get started with the LaunchPad evaluation platform from Texas Instruments. LaunchPad kits are available for TI's complete line of microcontrollers, including MSP430™ MCUs, Tiva™ C ARM® Cortex™-M4 MCUs, C2000™ MCUs, and Hercules™MCUs. These low-cost kits provide developers with everything they need to start designing new applications.
3. Meet Your LaunchPad
The MSP430 LaunchPad features on-board emulation, which means you can program and debug your projects without the need for additional tools.
All pins of the MSP430G2 device are fanned out for easy access. These pins make it easy to plug in 20-pin BoosterPacks that add additional functionality like wireless, capacitive touch & more
MSP430 LaunchPad includes everything you need to get started with MSP430 development!
- MSP-EXP430G2 LaunchPad
- MSP430G2553 microcontroller (with demo code)
- MSP430G2452 microcontroller
- Mini-USB cable
- Quick Start Guide
- 32kHz external crystal
20-pin DIP socket
The 20-pin DIP socket accepts all MSP430G2xx Value Line devices in a 14 or 20-pin DIP package. This makes it easy to pull out a programmed device and drop it onto a breadboard for maximum flexibility.
Switches & LEDs
A general purpose switch, reset switch & two LEDs are provided on-board for quick development.
Supports MSP430G2xx MCUs
The MSP430 LaunchPad supports MSP430G2xx Value Line MCUs. These devices go up to 16MHz, feature up to 16kB Flash & 512B RAM. They also offer integrated ADCs, timers, serial communication modules & more.
|LaunchPad||MSP430G2 Value Line LaunchPad|
|Why this LaunchPad?||
|BoosterPack connector||20-pin (see the pinout here)|
|Supported Family||MSP430 Value Line|
2. Download Software
The MSP430 LaunchPad is supported by several software tools to help you lift off. Depending on your experience level, we offer multiple points of entry, from beginners to professionals and anywhere in-between.
Good places to start:
Energia – a simple, community-driven coding environment
- Open source & community-driven
- Simple code editing tool with built-in serial monitor
- Compile & download your code directly to the LaunchPad
- Supported by a robust framework of intuitive APIs, function calls & large repository of code examples
- Currently only supports select MSP430 devices
Professional software development tools:
Code Composer Studio
By Texas Instruments
- Full-featured code editing & debugging tool for all TI LaunchPad kits
- Supports TI’s complete Embedded Processing portfolio from MCU to DSP
- CCS provides a complete, professional environment with full debug capability
- Free evaluation versions are available
IAR Embedded Workbench for TI MSP430
By IAR Systems
- Integrated Development Environment and Optimizing C/C++ Compiler for MSP430
- Supports MSP430 family of MCUs and other TI Embedded Processors
- Code examples available in C and Assembly
- Free evaluation versions are available
By the online community!
- Open source & community-driven command-line tool chain that provides binutils, gcc, gdb and other tools
- Supports all MSP430 devices
- Works in Windows, Linux & Mac
Other supplemental software tools & resources for MSP430
Ensure that your code is as ultra-low power as possible. ULP Advisor will check your code against a set of Ultra-Low Power rules & best practices.
If there is any room for improvement, ULP Advisor will highlight your code and provide suggestions and tips on how to make your application more efficient!
The MSP430Ware resource package provides you with everything you need to be an MSP430 expert. Find code examples, datasheets, user's guides and other resources quickly through an intuitive graphical user interface.
MSP430Ware automatically updates over the web to ensure you have the latest & greatest content. It can also import code examples directly into Code Composer Studio.
Grace generates code that properly enables and configures your peripherals such as ADCs, timers, serila communication & GPIOs with an intuitive graphical user interface.
Grace generates fully-commented, easy-to-read C code that can be imported directly into your project to ensure that your peripherals and enabled and configuired correctly.
1. Plug-in BoosterPack
Supported plug-in modules for MSP430 LaunchPad Evaluation kit.
Launch Our Resources
From "Hello World" to beyond. Find all of your MSP430
LaunchPad resources here, including those from TI and the online community.
Blinking an LED is the "Hello World" of microcontrollers. Follow this simple tutorial to get you up and running within minutes!
MSP430 Online Workshop
Now that you're LED is blinking, check out this online workshop that goes into a little more detail to get you even more comfortable with the MSP430 LaunchPad.
Visit the MSP430 LaunchPad Wiki
Find more tutorials, code examples, videos & other resources in our LaunchPad wiki. Here, you will find content generated by both TI and the broader online community!
Please feel free to contribute and share your knowledge!