Get started with the LaunchPad Evaluation Platform from Texas Instruments
Get started with the LaunchPad evaluation platform from Texas Instruments. LaunchPad kits are available for TI's complete line of microcontrollers, including MSP430™ MCUs, Tiva™ C ARM® Cortex™-M4 MCUs, C2000™ MCUs, and Hercules™MCUs. These low-cost kits provide developers with everything they need to start designing new applications.
The LaunchPad Microcontroller Evaluation Kits
3. Choose your LaunchPad
Texas Instruments has several LaunchPad evaluation kits to choose from across all of our microcontroller platforms: MSP430, C2000, Hercules Safety, and Tiva C Series MCUs. Select your LaunchPad based on the microcontroller that best fits the needs and requirements of your particular project.
Each LaunchPad is created to provide everything you need to get started with microcontroller development. All LaunchPad boards feature on-board emulation for programming and debugging code, push buttons and LEDs, as well as a consistent connector that accepts our plug-in BoosterPack modules, to help you add new functionality such as wireless connectivity, LEDs, sensors, and more to your LaunchPad. Each LaunchPad kit includes the LaunchPad board, USB cable, and a quick-start guide to help you get up and running quickly. More help is always available at E2E.ti.com, our online support forum where you can ask questions and get answers from TIers and fellow community members.
If you are choosing a LaunchPad for educational purposes, visit the TI University Program.
- MSP430 MCUs are optimized for ultra-low-power & general purpose applications
- Up to 25MHz and 128KB Flash
- These MCUs feature flexible low power modes to enable battery-operated or battery-free applications
- C2000 MCUs are optimized for real-time digital control applications
- Up to 60MHz and 64KB Flash
- These MCUs feature unique InstaSPIN libraries for efficient motor control
Tiva C Series
- Tiva C Series MCUs are based on the ARM® Cortex™-M architecture
- Optimized for connected and general-purpose MCU applications
- Up to 80 MHz and 256 KB flash memory
- Feature a highly integrated platform of communication peripherals for a wide range of connected applications
- Hercules Safety MCUs are ARM Cortex-based and are optimized for safety-critical applications
- Up to 100 MHz, 384KB Flash with ECC and 32KB RAM with ECC
- These MCUs features dual lock-step ARM Cortex cores and integrated safety features for safety-critical applications
2. Download Software
Code Composer Studio is TI's software development environment for writing and debugging your code that supports all LaunchPad kits! Additionally, there are third party & open source offerings for maximum flexibility when programming .
Energia—A graphical programming environment
By the online commmunity
- Open source & community-driven
- Simple code editing tool with built-in serial monitor
- Compile & download your code directly to the LaunchPad
- Supported by a robust framework of intuitive APIs, function calls & large repository of code examples
- Currently only supports select MSP430 devices
Professional software development tools:
Code Composer Studio
By Texas Instruments
Code Composer Studio (CCS) is TI's software development environment for writing and debugging your code that supports all LaunchPad kits! Code Composer Studio supports all of TI's embedded processing portfolio providing a consistent development experience. CCS provides a complete, professional environment with full debug capability. Free evaluation versions are available.
- Learn more about CCS @ www.ti.com/ccs
Various third party software offerings
The LaunchPad ecosystem is also supported by a growing ecosystem of third party and community-driven software tools.
To see the available software solutions for each LaunchPad, explore the tabs above to learn more about any specific LaunchPad.
Each LaunchPad has a differentiated software ecosystem. Explore them here:
1. Plug-in BoosterPack
BoosterPacks are modular plug-in boards that fit on top of the LaunchPad baseboards.
These modules introduce new functionality to the LaunchPad evaluation kits including wireless, capacitive touch, LED lighting & more!
BoosterPacks include everything you need to create compelling new applications based on the LaunchPad evaluation kits, including a plugin module, software & documentation.
Many BoosterPacks are supported by all LaunchPad variants. Also, each BoosterPack is provided in standard 100mil pitch, which makes it easy to connect to breadboards for quick prototyping. BoosterPacks are available for various applications and functions.
BoosterPacks are available in different pin counts:
Multiple BoosterPacks can plug into an MCU LaunchPad Evaluation Kit.
BoosterPacks can be placed on different docks or stacked vertically. This is especially useful when BoosterPacks need to share a common SPI or I2C bus. Be sure to check each BoosterPack to ensure compatability.
Launch Our Resources
Explore this website for code examples, tutorials, videos & other resources. Also, visit our engineer to engineer (E2E) forums for instant support. If you're feeling more confident, please contribute!