New DM8168 DaVinci™ video SoC from Texas Instruments offers best-in-class embedded video performance for video surveillance and video communications
Integrated video SoC sets industry benchmark performance to support multiple channels of
simultaneous HD, D1 and CIF video encoding and decoding
Bangalore (March 19, 2010) – Continuing to meet the increasing demand for highly integrated, high definition (HD) video, Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) today announced the new TMS320DM8168 DaVinci™ video system-on-chip (SoC), which consolidates all of the capture, compression, display and control functionalities of an HD multi-channel system onto a single chip. Designed specifically for video security and video communications applications, this best-in-class video SoC offers extreme integration including a 1 GHz ARM® Cortex™-A8 and a 1 GHz TI C674x digital signal processor (DSP) core. This integration of the DM8168 video SoC drastically reduces system electronic bill of materials (eBOM) costs by 50 percent, as well as reducing board area and power consumption by replacing the functionality of more than 10 discrete components.
The DM8168 video SoC offers best-in-class performance, up to four times the video compression performance compared to TI’s previous generation industry performance leader, the 1GHz DM6467T, including increased multi-channel density and support for higher resolutions. Combined with an order of magnitude increase in HD video pre- and post-processing, this best-in-class video SoC delivers unprecedented video performance, enabling higher quality video at lower bitrates for video security and video communications applications. Compared to previous generations of digital video processors, the innovative DM8168 video SoC slashes digital video recorder (DVR) system cost and complexity by providing the capabilities of a 16-channel DVR in a single video SoC with advanced video analytics and enhanced 2D and 3D graphics (www.ti.com/dm8168-prhome).
DM8168 video SoC key system features and benefits:
- For hybrid security DVR solutions, simultaneous 16 channels of H.264 high profile D1 encoding with CIF multi-streaming and eight channels of D1 decoding plus video compositing and graphics blending supporting up to three independent displays
- For video communications applications, ability to simultaneously support three channels of 1080p at 60 frames per second (fps) and reduce glass-to-glass latency below 50 milliseconds (ms) by eliminating off-chip inefficiencies with codec latency of less than 1 ms
- Extreme integration including a 1 GHz ARM Cortex-A8, 1 GHz TI C674x floating-point DSP, several second-generation programmable HD video image co-processors, an innovative HD video processing subsystem and comprehensive codec support including H.264, MPEG-4 and VC1 at HD resolutions
- Multiple interfaces including gigabit Ethernet, PCI Express, SATA2, DDR2, DDR3, USB 2.0, MMC/SD, HDMI and DVI provide flexibility in design implementations
- Glueless interface to four TI TVP5158 multi-channel video decoders seamlessly captures up to 16 D1 video channels. TI’s TVP5158 decoder automatically controls contrast and reduces noise to improve compression ratios and overall video quality thus eliminating the need for additional FPGAs and external memory while simplifying design and providing more system flexibility.
Customers demand higher performance and greater integration:
“TI has consistently offered the strongest video platforms which are essential to the video surveillance market,” said Yangzhong Hu, President, Hikvision. "With unparalleled performance and extensive programmability offered by the DM8168, TI enables Hikvision to exceed market requirements, set a new performance level and provide the next wave of differentiated video security products.”
“Polycom has a long standing relationship with TI and a history of maximizing the performance of TI processors to drive industry innovation, such as our recent video compression breakthrough with H.264 high profile. TI processors are helping us slash bandwidth requirements for our customers, making telepresence more readily available to a broader customer base,” said John Antanaitis, vice president of product marketing, Video Solutions, Polycom. “This new processor from TI brings another level of integration and video performance that will help drive the future of this industry.”
“Quality of experience is a must for the future success of the video conferencing market,” says Avishai Sharlin, general manager at Radvision’s Technology Business Unit. “To create differentiated products with superior user experience and video quality at a competitive price, it is essential to reduce cost, power and board space. TI understands these market needs, and has developed the DM8168 to address these issues. Aligning these characteristics with RADVISION's E2E (end-to-end) strategy contributes to an agile and powerful video solution.”
High-performance analog to complete the system:
TI provides the TVP5158 video decoder needed to provide glueless interfacing with the DM8168 video SoC, as well as a full suite of analog solutions to address video security or video communications system designs. Specifically designed for the DM8168 video SoC is a new versatile clock generation product that provides all the necessary system clock frequencies, as well as a new video amplifier that filters for CVBS (composite video broadcast signal)S-video and component video up to 1080p at 60 fps or RGB video signals. Both devices will be available upon the release of the DM8168 video SoC. Coupled with easy-to-use software and hardware tools, TI offers all the power management solutions for the processor or the complete system, as well as all the signal chain products necessary to process audio and video signals.
Find out more about TI’s video solutions:
About Texas Instruments:
Texas Instruments (NYSE: TXN) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through design, sales and manufacturing operations in more than 30 countries. For more information, go to www.ti.com.
DaVinci is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks and registered trademarks belong to their respective owners.
India Product Information Centre
Toll: +91-80-4138 1665
Toll free: +1-800-425-7888