TI delivers industry’s first 2.4-GHz system-on-chip fully optimized for ZigBee® RF4CE remote controls
Best-in-class hardware, tools and free software support ZigBee RF4CE-based home entertainment devices
Bangalore (September 6, 2010) – Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) today introduced the first fully optimized IEEE 802.15.4 system-on-chip for remote control applications. The CC2533 enables single-chip remote controls to be built with lower power, higher reliability and lower bill-of-materials (BOM) cost than alternative devices, and it provides an out-of-the-box solution for home entertainment devices (TVs, set top boxes, Blu-Ray players and home theaters). TI also offers the free RemoTI™ protocol stack with reference designs and sample applications to implement remote controls and target controllers for fast time to market. The CC2533 is the industry’s first device designed specifically for the ZigBee RF4CE chip market, building upon the successful CC2530 system-on-chip released in May 2009. To order development kits and samples, see www.ti.com/cc2533-pr.
"Texas Instruments has played a critical role in the development of the ZigBee RF4CE standard and TI’s portfolio of low-power RF hardware and software will drive even stronger penetration of RF4CE in next-generation consumer electronics,” said Bas Driesen, chairman of the RF4CE Steering Committee. “As consumers continue to demand new capabilities and innovation, ZigBee RF4CE delivers the enabling technology to give users a unique and improved living room experience.”
ZigBee RF4CE, first announced in March 2009, is a standardized specification for radio-frequency communications that enables faster, more reliable and greater flexibility for devices to operate from larger distances. It removes the line-of-sight and field-of-vision barriers in today’s IR (infrared) remotes. With its two-way communication, ZigBee RF4CE opens the door to a whole new set of capabilities and consumer experiences.
CC2533: Key features and benefits:
- On-chip memory: Offers options of 64-KB and 96-KB in-system programmable Flash optimized for ZigBee RF4CE applications; provides pin-compatible upgrade path to CC2531 with 256 KB of Flash and USB interface.
- Low power: Four flexible power modes offer lowest current consumption, including a 1-uA sleep mode, allowing up to 10 times longer battery life compared to IR-based remote controls.
- Best performance: Device integrates a best-in-class transceiver with a typical receiver sensitivity of
-97 dBm and output power of 7 dBm.
- Rich peripheral set: 5-channel DMA, 23 GPIOs, 2 USARTs, SPI, I2C and 4 timers allows for additional system integration with user interface, reducing overall system BOM.
- Free stack: TI offers a free, downloadable software stack, RemoTI network protocol, reference designs and tools to ensure customers have everything needed for system development.
Reference designs and development kits
Start your development today with a reference design or comprehensive evaluation kit that provides all the hardware and software necessary to evaluate the CC2533:
Find out more about TI’s low-power RF portfolio at the links below:
ZigBee RF4CE: More flexibility and control
The ZigBee RF4CE specification operates in the 2.4GHz unlicensed frequency band and enables worldwide operation, low power consumption and rapid response time. It allows omni-directional and reliable two-way wireless communication, channel agility for enhanced co-existence with other 2.4GHz wireless technologies, simple secure set-up and configuration. For more details, visit www.zigbee.org/rf4ce.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments (NYSE: TXN) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through manufacturing, design and sales operations in more than 30 countries. For more information, go to www.ti.com.
RemoTI and TI E2E are trademarks of Texas Instruments. ZigBee is a registered trademark of the ZigBee Alliance. All other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
India Product Information Centre
Toll: +91-80-4138 1665
Toll free: +1-800-425-7888