184.108.40.206.3 Construction of a Custom USB Connector
A standard USB connector, either type A or type B, provides good ESD protection. However, if a custom USB connector is desired, the following guidelines should be observed to ensure good ESD protection.
- There should be an easily accessible shield plate next to the connector for air-discharge mode purpose.
- Tie the outer shield of the connector to GND. When a cable is inserted into the connector, the shield of the cable should first make contact with the outer shield.
- If the connector includes power and GND, the lead of power and GND need to be longer than the leads of signal.
- The connector needs to have a key to ensure proper insertion of the cable.
- See the standard USB connector for reference.