6.2.4 High-Resolution PWM (HRPWM)
The HRPWM module offers PWM resolution (time granularity) which is significantly better than what can be achieved using conventionally derived digital PWM methods. The key points for the HRPWM module are:
- Significantly extends the time resolution capabilities of conventionally derived digital PWM
- Typically used when effective PWM resolution falls below approximately 9 or 10 bits. This occurs at PWM frequencies greater than approximately 200 kHz when using a CPU/System clock of 100 MHz.
- This capability can be used in both duty cycle and phase-shift control methods.
- Finer time granularity control or edge positioning is controlled through extensions to the Compare A and Phase registers of the ePWM module.
- HRPWM capabilities are offered only on the A signal path of an ePWM module (that is, on the EPWMxA output). EPWMxB output has conventional PWM capabilities.