TIDUD31B May   2017  – September 2019

1.   Revision History

Angle Estimation with TDM-MIMO and Velocity Ambiguity

For 2 Tx antenna TDM-MIMO, phase compensation needs to be done for the antenna samples received from the 2nd Tx antenna,

Equation 1.

φ

=

π

l

N

, where

Equation 2.

l

=

[

-

N

N

-

]

is the Doppler index for the detected object, and N is the length of Doppler FFT.

In the case of velocity ambiguity, let v be the radial velocity of the detected object with Doppler index l from CFAR module. l’=l+i*N will represent radial velocity of v’=v+i*Vr,max, where i is an integer number, and l’ will be physically the same as l caused by velocity ambiguity. In turn, the phase compensation for 2nd for v’ will be

Equation 3.

φ

'

=

π

l

'

N

=

φ

+

i

+

π

If we examine the formula above carefully, there are only 2 possible values of Doppler compensation for antenna samples from 2nd Tx antenna: H1=exp(-j*(Δφ+(2*k* π)) = exp(-j*Δφ), or H2=exp(-j*(Δφ+((2*k+1)* π)) = -exp(-j*Δφ).

In angular spectrum domain, as shown in Figure 16, when we apply Doppler compensation that correctly reflects the phase rotation from the true Doppler, we will see a spectrum shape in the blue curve, while the red curve represents the angular spectrum from compensation with a wrong hypothesis.

In the low level processing chain, we used a simple technique of just applying these two hypotheses of compensation factor to the antennas samples from 2nd Tx antenna, performing 2 angle estimations on 2 sets of data, and choosing the angle estimate corresponding to the larger peak from the angular spectrum. We call this angle correction for Vmax extension.

TIDEP-0090 AngularSpectrumComparison.jpgFigure 16. Angular spectrum comparison for antenna samples compensated with 2 hypotheses