Hercules MCUs for functional safety – Applications
- Integrated diagnostics reduces safety system complexity
- Development flow certified to IEC 61508 and ISO 26262 safety standards
- Part of SafeTI design packages: Safety documentation, tools, software, analog companion ICs
- Scalable family of devices from 256KB to 4MB of Flash
- Performance and IO built for precise, safe control
High performance Hercules™ microcontrollers (MCUs) based on the ARM® Cortex®-R CPU help simplify the development of high speed train systems that require compliance to functional safety standards. Hercules MCUs are certified to IEC 61508 SIL 3 which facilitates the development of Railway systems even up to EN 50129 SIL 4. Hercules MCUs have extensive hardware diagnostics including hardware based self tests of the CPU and memory. Hercules MCU offers on-chip Ethernet and fault-tolerant Flexray for inter-system communications. Developing your railway application is made even easier with companion analog parts including the TPS65381-Q1 power supply and comprehensive safety documentation, tools and software.
- Command control
- Door control
Industrial automation and control applications require high reliability for continuous operation and the ability to detect and prevent potential hazardous conditions. Developed according to the IEC 61508 safety standard, Hercules MCUs have integrated safety in hardware to detect potential failure modes with quick response time. With multiple performance, memory and connectivity options, Hercules MCUs provide scalability and compatibility which can be used across multiple industrial application platforms.
- Programmable logic controllers
- Remote IO controllers
- Industrial drives
- Motion controllers
Automotive and transportation
Hercules MCUs enable customers to easily develop safety-critical products for transportation applications. Developed to meet the requirements of the ISO 26262 ASIL-D and IEC 61508 SIL-3 safety standards, Hercules MCUs offer several performance, memory and connectivity options. Dual-core lockstep CPU architecture, hardware BIST, MPU, and ECC are just some of the key functional safety features available to meet the needs of automotive, railway and aerospace applications.
- Braking (ABS & ESC)
- Electric Power Steering (EPS)
- HEV/EV inverters and battery management systems
- ADAS, railway
- Lifts and cranes
Battery management systems
Hercules™ MCUs based on the ARM® Cortex®-R CPU help customers with their BMS system development and make functional safety standard certification efforts easier:
- ISO 26262 ASIL-D certified MCUs with the safety manual and FMEDA aid in overall system level compliance to ISO 26262.
- Hardware-based on-chip safety features provide high diagnostic coverage with minimum software overhead.
- TI Reference design using Hercules and bq76PL455A-Q1/EMB1428/EMB1499 BMS analog companion devices provide complete Battery Management Solution.
- Development tools as well as the foundational software components (HALCoGen peripheral drivers and SafeTI Diagnostic Library) developed with TI’s ISO 26262-certified software development process.
- Active and passive cell balancing
Applications which generate or store a high amount of energy have the potential to create environmental disasters or put humans at risk. Hercules MCUs are developed according to a certified functional safety development flow and provide a high level of diagnostic coverage. This, along with safety compliant tools, software and documentation, makes it easier for system developers to comply with functional safety standards such as EN 50178.
- Power generation and distribution
- Turbines and windmills
- Solar power