- 92% peak efficiency at 6 A
- 88% peak efficiency at 15 A
- 1.8V output at 15 A
- VIN range from 10 VDC to 14 VDC
- Small circuit size 1.4” x 2.5” SMT design, components on single side
- Line/load regulation < 0.5%
- High-frequency 300-kHz operation
- Transient deviation 60 mV with 10-A load step
In many modern electronic applications there is a growing demand for circuits to convert a12-V bus to digital voltages as low as, but not limited to 1.8 V. The current requirements can range from below 1 A to over 15 A. For high-efficiency and small circuit size the TPS40055 wide-input synchronous buck controller can be used to provide the necessary control and drive functions to implement these converters. The TPS40055EVM−001 operates at 300 kHz and delivers 1.8 V at 15 A with efficiency over 90% for much of the load range, and a full load efficiency of 88%.
The TPS40055 synchronous buck controller offers a variety of user programmable functions such as operating frequency, soft-start time, voltage feed-forward, high-side current limit, and external loop compensation. This controller also provides a regulated 10-V bias voltage which supplies onboard drivers for the N-channel switch and synchronous rectifier MOSFETs, utilizing adaptive gate drive logic to prevent cross conduction of the power MOSFETs.