- High-Performance Fixed-Point Digital Signal Processor (DSP) TMS320C6204
- 5-ns Instruction Cycle Time
- 200-MHz Clock Rate
- Eight 32-Bit Instructions/Cycle
- 1600 MIPS
- C6204 GLW Ball Grid Array (BGA) Package is Pin-Compatible With the C6202/02B/03 GLS BGA Package
- VelociTI Advanced Very-Long-Instruction-Word (VLIW) TMS320C62x DSP Core
- Eight Highly Independent Functional Units:
- Six ALUs (32-/40-Bit)
- Two 16-Bit Multipliers (32-Bit Result)
- Load-Store Architecture With 32 32-Bit General-Purpose Registers
- Instruction Packing Reduces Code Size
- All Instructions Conditional
- Instruction Set Features
- Byte-Addressable (8-, 16-, 32-Bit Data)
- 8-Bit Overflow Protection
- Bit-Field Extract, Set, Clear
- 1M-Bit On-Chip SRAM
- 512K-Bit Internal Program/Cache (16K 32-Bit Instructions)
- 512K-Bit Dual-Access Internal Data (64K Bytes)
- Organized as Two 32K-Byte Blocks for Improved Concurrency
- 32-Bit External Memory Interface (EMIF)
- Glueless Interface to Synchronous Memories: SDRAM or SBSRAM
- Glueless Interface to Asynchronous Memories: SRAM and EPROM
- 52M-Byte Addressable External Memory Space
- Four-Channel Bootloading Direct-Memory-Access (DMA) Controller With an Auxiliary Channel
- 32-Bit Expansion Bus (XB)
- Glueless/Low-Glue Interface to Popular PCI Bridge Chips
- Glueless/Low-Glue Interface to Popular Synchronous or Asynchronous Microprocessor Buses
- Master/Slave Functionality
- Glueless Interface to Synchronous FIFOs and Asynchronous Peripherals
- Two Multichannel Buffered Serial Ports (McBSPs)
- Direct Interface to T1/E1, MVIP, SCSA Framers
- ST-Bus-Switching Compatible
- Up to 256 Channels Each
- Serial-Peripheral Interface (SPI) Compatible (Motorola)
- Two 32-Bit General-Purpose Timers
- Flexible Phase-Locked-Loop (PLL) Clock Generator
- IEEE-1149.1 (JTAG ) Boundary-Scan-Compatible
- 288-Pin MicroStar BGA Package (GHK)
- 340-Pin BGA Package (GLW)
- 0.15-µm/5-Level Metal Process
- 3.3-V I/Os, 1.5-V Internal
VelociTI, TMS320C62x, and MicroStar BGA are trademarks of Texas Instruments.
Motorola is a trademark of Motorola, Inc.
For more details, see the GLW BGA package bottom view.
IEEE Standard 1149.1-1990 Standard-Test-Access Port and Boundary Scan Architecture.
TMS320C6000, C62x, and C6000 are trademarks of Texas Instruments.
Windows is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation.
The TMS320C62x DSPs (including the TMS320C6204 device) compose the fixed-point DSP generation in the TMS320C6000 DSP platform. The TMS320C6204 (C6204) device is based on the high-performance, advanced VelociTI very-long-instruction-word (VLIW) architecture developed by Texas Instruments (TI), making the C6204 an excellent choice for multichannel and multifunction applications.
With performance of up to 1600 million instructions per second (MIPS) at a clock rate of 200 MHz, the C6204 offers cost-effective solutions to high-performance DSP-programming challenges. The C6204 DSP possesses the operational flexibility of high-speed controllers and the numerical capability of array processors. This processor has 32 general-purpose registers of 32-bit word length and eight highly independent functional units. The eight functional units provide six arithmetic logic units (ALUs) for a high degree of parallelism and two 16-bit multipliers for a 32-bit result. The C6204 can produce two multiply-accumulates (MACs) per cycle for a total of 400 million MACs per second (MMACS). The C6204 DSP also has application-specific hardware logic, on-chip memory, and additional on-chip peripherals.
The C6204 includes a large bank of on-chip memory and has a powerful and diverse set of peripherals. Program memory consists of a 64K-byte block that is user-configurable as cache or memory-mapped as program space. Data memory consists of two 32K-byte blocks of RAM. The peripheral set includes two multichannel buffered serial ports (McBSPs), two general-purpose timers, a 32-bit expansion bus (XB) that offers ease of interface to synchronous or asynchronous industry-standard host bus protocols, and a glueless 32-bit external memory interface (EMIF) capable of interfacing to SDRAM or SBSRAM and asynchronous peripherals.
The C6204 has a complete set of development tools which includes: a new C compiler, an assembly optimizer to simplify programming and scheduling, and a Windows debugger interface for visibility into source code execution.