- High-Performance Static CMOS Technology
- 25-ns Instruction Cycle Time (40 MHz)
- 40-MIPS Performance
- Low-Power 3.3-V Design
- Based on TMS320C2xx DSP CPU Core
- Code-Compatible With 240x and F243/F241/C242
- Instruction Set Compatible With F240
- On-Chip Memory
- Up to 8K Words x 16 Bits of Flash EEPROM (2 Sectors) (LF2401A)
- 8K Words x 16 Bits of ROM (LC2401A)
- Programmable "Code-Security" Feature for the On-Chip Flash/ROM
- Up to 1K Words x 16 Bits of Data/Program RAM
- 544 Words of Dual-Access RAM
- Up to 512 Words of Single-Access RAM
- Boot ROM
- Event-Manager (EV) Module (EVA), Which Includes:
- Two 16-Bit General-Purpose Timers
- Seven 16-Bit Pulse-Width Modulation (PWM) Channels Which Enable:
- Three-Phase Inverter Control
- Center- or Edge-Alignment of PWM Channels
- Emergency PWM Channel Shutdown With External PDPINTA Pin
- Programmable Deadband (Deadtime) Prevents Shoot-Through Faults
- One Capture Unit for Time-Stamping of External Events
- Input Qualifier for Select Pins
- Synchronized A-to-D Conversion
- Designed for AC Induction, BLDC, Switched Reluctance, and Stepper Motor Control
- Small Foot-Print (7 mm × 7 mm) Ideally Suited for Space-Constrained Applications
- Watchdog (WD) Timer Module
- 10-Bit Analog-to-Digital Converter (ADC)
- 5 Multiplexed Input Channels
- 500 ns Minimum Conversion Time
- Selectable Twin 8-State Sequencers Triggered by Event Manager
- Serial Communications Interface (SCI)
- Phase-Locked-Loop (PLL)-Based Clock Generation
- Up to 13 Individually Programmable, Multiplexed General-Purpose Input/Output (GPIO) Pins
- User-Selectable Dual External Interrupts (XINT1 and XINT2)
- Power Management:
- Three Power-Down Modes
- Ability to Power Down Each Peripheral Independently
- Real-Time JTAG-Compliant Scan-Based Emulation, IEEE Standard 1149.1 (JTAG)
- Development Tools Include:
- Texas Instruments (TI) ANSI C Compiler, Assembler/ Linker, and Code Composer Studio™ Debugger
- Evaluation Modules
- Scan-Based Self-Emulation (XDS510™)
- Broad Third-Party Digital Motor Control Support
- 32-Pin VF Low-Profile Quad Flatpack (LQFP)
- Extended Temperature Options (A and S)
- A: 40°C to 85°C
- S: 40°C to 125°C
Code Composer Studio and XDS510 are trademarks of Texas Instruments.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
IEEE Standard 1149.1-1990, IEEE Standard Test-Access Port; however, boundary scan is not supported in this device family.
TMS320C24x, TMS320C2000, TMS320, and C24x are trademarks of Texas Instruments.
Throughout this document, TMS320Lx2401A is used as a generic name for the TMS320LF2401A and TMS320LC2401A devices. An abbreviated name, Lx2401A, denotes both devices as well.
The TMS320Lx2401A device, a new member of the TMS320C24x™ generation of digital signal processor (DSP) controllers, is part of the TMS320C2000™ platform of fixed-point DSPs. The Lx2401A device offers the enhanced TMS320™ DSP architectural design of the C2xx core CPU for low-cost, low-power, and high-performance processing capabilities. Several advanced peripherals, optimized for digital motor and motion control applications, have been integrated to provide a true single-chip DSP controller. While code-compatible with the existing 240x and C24x™ DSP controller devices, the Lx2401A offers increased processing performance (40 MIPS) and a higher level of peripheral integration. See the TMS320x240xA Device Summary section for device-specific features.
The Lx2401A device offers a peripheral suite tailored to meet the specific price/performance points required by various applications. The Lx2401A also offers a cost-effective reprogrammable solution for volume production. A password-based "code security" feature on the device is useful in preventing unauthorized duplication of proprietary code stored in on-chip Flash/ROM. Note that the LF2401A contains a 256-word boot ROM to facilitate in-circuit programming. The boot ROM on LC2401A is used for test purposes.
The Lx2401A offers an event manager module which has been optimized for digital motor control and power conversion applications. Capabilities of this module include center- and/or edge-aligned PWM generation, programmable deadband to prevent shoot-through faults, and synchronized analog-to-digital conversion. Select EV pins have been provided with an "input-qualifier" circuitry, which minimizes inadvertent pin-triggering by glitches.
The high-performance, 10-bit analog-to-digital converter (ADC) has a minimum conversion time of 500 ns and offers up to 5 channels of analog input. The autosequencing capability of the ADC allows a maximum of 16 conversions to take place in a single conversion session without any CPU overhead.
A serial communications interface (SCI) is integrated on all devices to provide asynchronous communication to other devices in the system. To maximize device flexibility, functional pins are also configurable as general-purpose inputs/outputs (GPIOs).
To streamline development time, JTAG-compliant scan-based emulation has been integrated into all devices. This provides non-intrusive real-time capabilities required to debug digital control systems. A complete suite of code-generation tools from C compilers to the industry-standard Code Composer Studio™ debugger supports this family. Numerous third-party developers not only offer device-level development tools, but also system-level design and development support.
NOTE: The Lx2401A device has reduced peripheral functionality compared to other 24x/240x devices. While peripherals such as SPI and CAN are absent on the Lx2401A, peripherals such as EV and ADC have reduced functionality. For example, in the case of EV, there is no QEP unit and the Capture unit has only one capture pin (as opposed to three or six pins in other devices). The ADC has only five input channels (as opposed to eight or sixteen channels in other devices). For these reasons, some bits that are valid in other 24x/240x devices are not applicable in the Lx2401A. The registers and their valid bits are described in Table 16, Lx2401A DSP Peripheral Register Description. For a description of those registers and bits that are valid, refer to the TMS320LF/LC240xA DSP Controllers Reference Guide: System and Peripherals (literature number SPRU357). Any exceptions to SPRU357 has been described in the respective peripheral sections in this data sheet.