|Package | PIN:||RFP | 144|
|Temp:||I (-40 to 85)|
- Qualified for Automotive Applications
- Two Intermediate Frequency (IF) Analog-to-Digital Converters (ADCs)
- Two 12-Bit Auxiliary Digital-to-Analog Converters (DACs)
- 8-Bit Auxiliary ADCs with Four-Channel Input Multiplexer (MUX)
- Integrated IF Digital Processing Core
- Integrated Circuitry for Third-Overtone Master Clock Oscillator
- Wakeup Circuit/Real-Time Clock With Separate Crystal Oscillator
- Flexible Data Interface Optimized for TMS Family of
Digital Baseband Processors
- Pin-Selectable SPI and I2C Control Interfaces
- 3.3-V/1.8-V Supply (Integrated Regulator Available to
Optionally Generate 1.8-V Supply)
- TQFP-144 (RFP) PowerPAD Package
- IF-Sampled AM/FM Radio
- Hybrid Digital (HD) Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB) Digital Radio
PowerPAD is a trademark of Texas Instruments.
SPI is a trademark of Motorola, Inc.
I2C is a trademark of NXP Semiconductors.
Texas Instruments AFE8221IRFPQ1
The AFE8221 implements the intermediate frequency (IF) sampling and processing functions of a digital radio receiver system. It is designed to be used with TIs digital radio baseband processors and AM/FM tuners. The AFE8221 can also be programmed by the baseband processor for use in conventional AM/FM and digital radio. This unit includes two IF inputs with associated filtering and digital processing circuitry.
The receive circuit oversamples the radio tuner IF output to reduce noise and improve dynamic range. The IF analog-to-digital converter (ADC) oversamples the IF input at rates up to 75 MHz. The AFE8221 then digitally mixes, filters, and decimates the signal to provide I and Q output signals to the baseband processor. A clock oscillator circuit is provided that can be used with an appropriate third-overtone crystal and external tank circuit to generate the sampling clock for the IF ADCs.
The AFE8221 also includes a real-time clock and associated low-power oscillator circuit. Two auxiliary digital-to-analog converters (DACs) are included for system control functions. An 8-bit auxiliary ADC and input multiplexer (MUX) can be used for system diagnostic functions. Other features include 12 general-purpose input/output (GPIO) lines, programmable interrupt generators, and an I2C master for communication between the AFE and the tuner(s).
The AFE8221 is available in a TQFP-144 (20 mm × 20 mm) package and uses a 3.3-V and a 1.8-V power supply. An onboard voltage regulator is included to optionally generate the 1.8-V digital supply for the AFE8221.