|Package | PIN:||DW | 20|
|Temp:||S (-20 to 70)|
- Sequential fast charge and conditioning of two NiCd or NiMH nickel cadmium or nickel-metal hydride battery packs
- Hysteretic PWM switch-mode current regulation or gated control of an external regulator
- Easily integrated into systems or used as a stand-alone charger
- Pre-charge qualification of temperature and voltage
- Direct LED outputs display battery and charge status
- Fast-charge termination by V, maximum voltage, maximum temperature, and maximum time
- Optional top-off and pulse-trickle charging
Texas Instruments BQ2005S
The bq2005 Fast-Charge IC provides comprehensive fast charge control functions together with high-speed switching power control circuitry on a monolithic CMOS device for sequential charge management in dual battery pack applications.
Integration of closed-loop current control circuitry allows the bq2005 to be the basis of a cost-effective solution for stand-alone and system-integrated chargers for batteries of one or more cells.
Switch-activated discharge-before-charge allows bq2005-based chargers to support battery conditioning and capacity determination.
High-efficiency power conversion is accomplished using the bq2005 as a hysteretic PWM controller for switch-mode regulation of the charging current. The bq2005 may alternatively be used to gate an externally regulated charging current.
Fast charge may begin on application of the charging supply, replacement of the battery, or switch depression. For safety, fast charge is inhibited unless/until the battery temperature and voltage are within configured limits.
Temperature, voltage, and time are monitored throughout fast charge. Fast charge is terminated by any of the following:
- Rate of temperature rise (t)
- Negative delta voltage (-V)
- Maximum voltage
- Maximum temperature
- Maximum time
After fast charge, optional top-off and pulsed current maintenance phases are available.