|Package | PIN:||RGT | 16|
|Temp:||I (-40 to 85)|
- Fully Compliant USB Charger
- Selectable 100-mA and 500-mA Maximum Input Current
- 100-mA Maximum Current Limit Ensures Compliance to USB-IF Standard
- Input-based Dynamic Power Management (VIN– DPM) forProtection Against Poor USB Sources
- 28-V Input Rating With Overvoltage Protection
- 4.35-V Battery Regulation
- Integrated Dynamic Power-Path Management (DPPM) Function Simultaneously and Independently Powers the System and Charges the Battery
- Supports up to 500-mA Charge Current With Current Monitoring Output (ISET)
- Programmable Input Current Limit up to 500 mA for Wall Adapters
- Programmable Termination Current (bq24232H)
- Programmable Precharge and Fast-Charge Safety Timers
- Reverse Current, Short-Circuit, and Thermal Protection
- NTC Thermistor Input
- Proprietary Start-up Sequence Limits Inrush Current
- Status Indication – Charging/Done, Power Good
- Small 3-mm × 3-mm 16-Lead QFN Package
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Texas Instruments BQ24232HRGTR
The bq2423xH series of devices are highly integrated Li-ion linear chargers and systempower-path management devices targeted at space-limited portable applications. The devices operatefrom either a USB port or AC adapter and support charge currents from 25 mA to 500 mA. Thehigh-input voltage range with input overvoltage protection supports low-cost, unregulated adapters.The USB input current limit accuracy and start-up sequence allow the bq2423xH to meet USB-IF inrushcurrent specifications. Additionally, the input dynamic power management(VIN-DPM) prevents the charger from crashing poorly designed or incorrectlyconfigured USB sources.
The bq2423xH features dynamic power-path management (DPPM) that powers the system whilesimultaneously and independently charging the battery. The DPPM circuit reduces the charge currentwhen the input current limit causes the system output to fall to the DPPM threshold, thus supplyingthe system load at all times while monitoring the charge current separately. This feature reducesthe number of charge and discharge cycles on the battery, allows for proper charge termination, andenables the system to run with a defective or absent battery pack. Additionally, this featureenables instant system turn-on even with a totally discharged battery. The power-path managementarchitecture also lets the battery supplement the system current requirements when the adaptercannot deliver the peak system currents, thus enabling the use of a smaller adapter.
The battery is charged in three phases: conditioning, constant current, and constantvoltage. In all charge phases, an internal control loop monitors the IC junction temperature andreduces the charge current if the internal temperature threshold is exceeded.
The charger power stage and charge current sense functions are fully integrated. Thecharger function has high-accuracy current and voltage regulation loops, charge status display, andcharge termination. The input current limit and charge current are programmable using externalresistors.