|Package | PIN:||PW | 8|
|Temp:||S (-20 to 70)|
- Safe Management of Fast Charge for NiCd and NiMH Battery Packs
- High-Frequency Switching Controller for Efficient and Simple Charger Design
- Pre-Charge Qualification for Detecting Shorted, Damaged, or Overheated Cells
- Fast-Charge Termination by ΔT/Δt, Maximum Temperature, and Maximum Charge Time
- Selectable Top-Off Mode for Achieving Maximum Capacity in NiMH Batteries
- Programmable Trickle-Charge Mode for Reviving Deeply Discharged Batteries and for Postcharge Maintenance
- Built-in Battery Removal and Insertion Detection
- Sleep Mode for Low Power Consumption
- Nickel Charger
- High-Power, Multi-Cell Charger
Texas Instruments BQ24401PW
The bq24401 is a programmable, monolithic IC for fast-charge management of nickel cadmium (NiCd) and nickel metal-hydride (NiMH) in single or multi-cell applications.
The bq24401 provides these charge termination criteria:
- Rate of temperature rise (ΔT/Δt)
- Maximum temperature
- Maximum charge time
For safety, the bq24401 inhibits fast charge until the battery voltage and temperature are within user-defined limits. If the battery voltage is below the low-voltage threshold, the bq24401 uses trickle-charge to condition the battery. For NiMH batteries, the bq24401 provides an optional top-off charge to maximize the battery capacity.
The integrated high-speed comparator allows the bq24401 to be the basis for a complete, high-efficiency battery charger circuit for nickel-based chemistries.