|Package | PIN:||YFF | 42|
|Temp:||Q (-40 to 125)|
- High Efficiency 4-A, 1.5-MHz Switch Mode Buck Charge
- 92% Charge Efficiency at 3 A and91% ChargeEfficiency at 4 A Charge Current
- Optimize for High VoltageInput (9 V / 12 V)
- Low Power PFM mode for Light LoadOperations
- USB On-the-Go (OTG) with Adjustable Output from 4.5 V to 5.5 V
- Selectable 500-KHz / 1.5-MHz Boost Converter with up-to 2.4 AOutput
- 94% Boost Efficiency at 5 V at 1 A Output
- AccurateHiccup Mode Overcurent Protection
- Single Input to Support USB Input and Adjustable High Voltage Adapters
- Support 3.9-V to 14-VInput Voltage Range
- Input Current Limit (100 mA to 3.25 A with 50-mAresolution) to Support USB2.0, USB3.0 standard and High Voltage Adapters
- Maximum PowerTracking by Input Voltage Limit up-to 14V for Wide Range of Adapters
- Auto Detect USB SDP, CDP, DCP, and Non-Standard Adapters(bq25898)
- Programmable D+/D- Drivers for Non-StandardAdapter Handshake
- Remote Battery Sensing
- Input Current Optimizer (ICO) to Maximize Input Power without Overloading Adapters
- Resistance Compensation (IRCOMP) from Charger Output to Cell Terminal
- Highest Battery Discharge Efficiency with 5-mΩ Battery Discharge MOSFET up to 9 A
- Integrated ADC for System Monitor
(Voltage, Temperature, Charge Current)
- Narrow VDC (NVDC) Power Path Management
- Instant-on Works with No Battery or Deeply DischargedBattery
- Ideal Diode Operation in Battery SupplementMode
- BATFET Control to Support Ship Mode, Wake Up, and Full System Reset
- Flexible Autonomous and I2C Mode for Optimal System Performance
- High Integration includes all MOSFETs, Current Sensing and Loop Compensation
- 12-µA Low Battery Leakage Current to Support Ship Mode
- High Accuracy
- ±0.5% Charge VoltageRegulation
- ±5% Charge Current Regulation
- ±7.5% InputCurrent Regulation
- Battery Temperature Sensing for Charge and Boost Mode
- Thermal Regulation and Thermal Shutdown
- Available in 2.8-mm x 2.5-mm 42-Ball DSBGA Package
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Texas Instruments BQ25898YFFR
The bq25898, bq25898D are highly-integrated 4-A switch-modebattery charge management and system power path management devices for single cell Li-Ion andLi-polymer battery. The devices support high input voltage fast charging.
The low impedance power path optimizes switch-mode operation efficiency, reduces batterycharging time and extends battery life during discharging phase. The I2CSerial interface with charging and system settings makes the device a truly flexiblesolution.
The bq25898/98D is a highly-integrated 4-A switch-mode battery charge management andsystem power path management device for single cell Li-Ion and Li-polymer battery. It features fastcharging with high input voltage support for a wide range of smartphone, tablet and portabledevices. Its low impedance power path optimizes switch-mode operation efficiency, reduces batterycharging time and extends battery life during discharging phase. It also integrates Input CurrentOptimizer (ICO) and Resistance Compensation (IRCOMP) to deliver maximum charging power to battery.The solution is highly integrated with input reverse-blocking FET (RBFET, Q1), high-side switchingFET (HSFET, Q2), low-side switching FET (LSFET, Q3), and battery FET (BATFET, Q4) between systemand battery. It also integrates the bootstrap diode for the high-side gate drive and batterymonitor for simplified system design. The I2C serial interface withcharging and system settings makes the device a truly flexible solution.
The device supports a wide range of input sources, including standard USB host port, USBcharging port, and USB compliant adjustable high voltage adapter. To support fast charging usingadjustable high voltage adapter, the bq25898D provides support forMaxCharge™ handshake using D+/D- pins and DSEL pinfor USB switch control. In addition, both bq25898D and bq25898 include interface to supportadjustable high voltage adapter using input current pulse protocol. To set the default inputcurrent limit, device uses the built-in USB interface (bq25898D) or takes the result from detectioncircuit in the system (bq25898), such as USB PHY device. The device is compliant with USB 2.0 andUSB 3.0 power spec with input current and voltage regulation. In addition, the Input CurrentOptimizer (ICO) supports the detection of maximum power point detection of the input source withoutoverload. The device also meets USB On-the-Go (OTG) operation power rating specification bysupplying 5 V (Adjustable 4.5V-5.5V) on VBUS with current limit up to 2.4 A.
The power path management regulates the system slightly above battery voltage but doesnot drop below 3.5V minimum system voltage (programmable). With this feature, the system maintainsoperation even when the battery is completely depleted or removed. When the input current limit orvoltage limit is reached, the power path management automatically reduces the charge current tozero. As the system load continues to increase, the power path discharges the battery until thesystem power requirement is met. This operation prevents overloading the input source.
The device initiates and completes a charging cycle without software control. Itautomatically detects the battery voltage and charges the battery in three phases:pre-conditioning, constant current and constant voltage. At the end of the charging cycle, thecharger automatically terminates when the charge current is below a preset limit in the constantvoltage phase. When the full battery falls below the recharge threshold, the charger willautomatically start another charging cycle.
The charger provides various safety features for battery charging and system operations,including battery temperature negative thermistor monitoring, charging safety timer andovervoltage/overcurrent protections. The thermal regulation reduces charge current when thejunction temperature exceeds 120°C (programmable). The STAT output reports the charging status andany fault conditions. The PG output (bq25898) indicates if a good powersource is present. The INT immediately notifies host when fault occurs.
The device also provides a 7-bit analog-to-digital converter (ADC) for monitoring chargecurrent and input/battery/system (VBUS, BAT, SYS, TS) voltages. The QON pin provides BATFETenable/reset control to exit low power ship mode or full system reset function.
The devices are available in a 42-ball, 2.8 mm x 2.5 mm DSBGA package.