|Package | PIN:||RTQ | 56|
|Temp:||T (-40 to 105)|
- USB Power Delivery (PD) Controller
- Mode Configuration for Source (Host), Sink (Device), or Source-Sink
- Bi-Phase Marked Encoding and Decoding (BMC)
- Physical Layer (PHY) Protocol
- Policy Engine
- Configurable at Boot and Host-Controlled
- USB Type-C Specification Compliant
- Detect USB Cable Plug Attach
- Cable Orientation and Role Detection
- Assign CC and VCONN Pins
- Advertise Default, 1.5 A or 3 A for Type-C Power
- Port-Power Switch
- 5-V, 3-A Switch to VBUS for Type-C Power
- 5-V to 20-V, 3-A Bidirectional Switch to or from VBUS for USB PD Power
- 5-V, 600-mA Switches for VCONN
- Overcurrent Limiter, Overvoltage Protector
- Slew-Rate Control
- Hard Reset Support
- Port Data Multiplexer
- USB 2.0 HS Data and Low Speed Endpoint
- Sideband-Use Data for Alternate Modes (DisplayPort, for Example)
- Power Management
- Gate Control and Current Sense for External 5-V to 20-V, 5-A Bidirectional Switch (Back-to-Back NFETs)
- Power Supply from 3.3-V or VBUS Source
- 3.3-V LDO Output for Dead Battery Support
- QFN Package for Reliable Manufacturing
- 0.5-mm Pitch
- 2-Layer PCB Compatibility
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Texas Instruments TPS65981ABTRTQR
The TPS65981 device is a stand-alone, USB Type-C, and power-delivery (PD) controller providing cable-plug and orientation detection at the USB Type-C connector. Upon cable detection, the TPS65981 device communicates on the CC wire using the USB PD protocol. When cable detection and USB PD negotiation are complete, the TPS65981 device enables the appropriate power path and configures alternate mode settings for internal and (optional) external multiplexers.
The mixed-signal front end on the CC pins provides default (900 mA), 1.5-A, or 3-A current for Type-C power sources, detects a plug event, determines the USB Type-C cable orientation, and autonomously negotiates USB PD contracts by adhering to the specified biphase-marked coding (BMC) and physical-layer (PHY) protocol.For all available packages, see the orderable addendum at the end of the data sheet.
The port-power switch provides up to 3 A downstream at 5 V for legacy and Type-C USB power. An additional bidirectional switch path provides USB PD power up to 3 A at a maximum of 20 V as either a source (host), sink (device), or source-sink.
The TPS65981 device is also an upstream-facing port (UFP), downstream-facing port (DFP), or dual-role port for data. The port-data multiplexer passes data to or from the top or bottom D+/D– signal pair at the port for USB 2.0 HS and has a USB 2.0 low-speed endpoint. Additionally, the sideband-use (SBU) signal pair is used for auxiliary or alternate modes of communication (DisplayPort, for example).
The power-management circuitry uses 3.3 V inside the system and also uses VBUS to start up and negotiate power for a dead-battery or no-battery condition.